Thread: Powerbook 17 Dead Display

I'm using my Powerbook 17 for 2 months and the display satrted to show some blackouts a couple of days ago. I turned it to sleep and it woke up ok. After a few times the display turned black and didn't get back. The system is still running but I can hardly see the desktop. It's kind of 95% black. The lid light is off too. I was taking a look at the Apple site discussions and found out that there are others with the same problem, but neither of them could know where the problem was. As I live in Brazil, it's difficult to send my powebook back to USA to the Apple Center. If I know what the problem is, it will be easier to repair it here. Can anyone help me with this?

Best Regards,

Marcelo Vaccari.

I don't have a clue where it is located but the new Powerbooks have an ambient light sensor which controls dimming of the monitor and also controls the keyboard light up feature. So in the dark, the keyboard lights up, and the screen dims.

Is it possible that you have something covering the sensor or it has become dirty? Or maybe the sensor or circuitry is failing. k

I checked it, but the keyboard light is still working. When I said the monitor was dead, I meant really dark, much more then when the dimming occurs.

Thanks.