Thread: iPhoto Bogged Down...

I have about 4000 photos in my iPhoto library and everytime I import new photos or try to move and adjust the library, iPhoto boggs down and it takes about 15-30 secs. to become responsive. My question is, is there anything that I can do to increase the response time for iPhoto? Is the response time dependant on the size of the iPhoto library? I would like to be able to access my pictures with relative speed.

My system configuration is as follows: Dual 1.25Ghz G4/2GB RAM/440GB Total HD Space/OS X 10.3 Panther.

Thought I read that lots of photos (I would think 4000 might qualify) *would* slow down iPhoto....

Don't have a fix though. I wonder if you can split up your library.... Have you searched Apple support yet?

Charlie Don't Surf!

From the website, they suggest archiving the Library and then deleting any pictures not needed.

But of course they say that iPhoto can hold an unlimited amount of pictures.

I don't use iPhoto. I read of too many problems in the early days and can't think why I'd want to. I do have 4.2GB and 24,000 items in my Pictures foldere, I assume that includes folders themselves, any ".DS" and other invisible files. Graphic Converter suits my needs.

My a quad-G5 with dual core, or a 'grid computer' huh? The idea is to sell software that requires more powerful hardware and software, get you to want to upgrade to a "Pro" version in hardware and software. I'm surprised that Apple didn't try to sell you on something like Final Cut Express if you were "out-growing" iMove, something that would do the job better.

Panther's RAID support and disk I/O is much more robust it now seems clear. I keep putting more powerful disk drives in, but I want to wait for mid-2004 for any G5 AND it has to be QUIET. Doesn't seem like 4000 is overly large.

I guess it depends on your point of view. For consumer stuff, several thousand pictures seems like alot to me, imagine if one had seveal thousand snaps in a shoebox....

On the other hand, with the ease of digital photagraphy, seveal thousand (maybe 10,000?) pics should be expected for a free consumer app. FWIW, I do use it and really like it, but only about a 1000 pictures on a G4 550. No problems and speed is OK/good.

Sorry TZ, I'm not gonna give you that one: 24,000 is a hell-of-a lot of pictures!

Did see a rumor somewhere that iPhoto is due for a pretty serious update; maybe they will address the apparent number of files issue, or at least allow one to have multiple active libraries (my first choice).

Charlie Don't Surf!

[This message was edited by unclemac on Tue November 04, 2003 PT at 8:22.]

It does seem like iPhoto gets bogged down with lots of pics. I would try and use iPhoto library manager. It seems to work great. You can open smaller libraries.

Cool