Thread: Does Palms new software really suck, or is it just me?

I have had fits trying to install, and get working Palm 4.0 or 4.1 on my Mac G3 333, or, on an imac 500mhz at work.

The Hotsync manager is "not found"
    and I can't hotsink to the machine, even after trying numerous cradles.

I am the only one having this problem?

Works fine on Windows 2000.

gs

Mac G3/333mhz/384mb RAM Startup system: ATTO OEM UW SCSI Card
    4000N printer

Lombard 333 with 384 mb RAM, VST Floppy, zip, and CD

I am using Palm 4.0 without problems on my QS 733, OS 10.2.8

Randy

Santilli

I was an old ClarisWorks/Organizer user and needed a transition to something. You probably know more than me about this but...

This post got me to Palm 4.0

Good Luck
    Randy

Haven't had any huge issues with v4.0 or v4.1 in OS X.

Which OS are you trying to use Palm Desktop? Also, does the installer finish properly or does it seem to quit prematurely.

A bit more info would help -- particularly the OS.

Which Palm are you suing?
    Did you have a third party adapter on the cradle to change from serial to USB?
    Are you using OS 10.x?
    Are you using iSync?

When I upgraded from G3 to G4 and OS 9 to 10.2.6, my Palm IIIvx would not sync with Palm 4.1. I was using an iConcept adapter which needed an upgraded driver.

The hotsync did not work when I tried to use iSync. The connection worked perfectly after iSync was removed from the machine.

This site may help you find an answer to you problem.
    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/

I'm using 9.21 on the G3, and I think it's 9.0 on the imac. I'm using a serial type cradle, and Palm III's.

I think I've got a serial to usb adapter to try, but no joy.

The software not finding Hotsync to do the transfer is bugging me.

It does appear to install properly on both machines....

gs

4000N printer

I've installed the UL2d card, and the Cheetah X 15.3, and have pretty good numbers. About 62 mb/sec using Atto 2.8 benchmark utility, and about 40 something writes.

The 10k is close in sequential transfer rates, but, the X 15 is noticeably quicker as a boot disk, due, I'm sure, to access time.

Steve thanks, and the check will be on it's way this weekend.

Right now I'm pretty happy with the machine.
    We'll see if I get all the bugs worked out...

gs

4000N printer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[b]I've installed the UL2d card, and the Cheetah X 15.3, and have pretty good numbers. About 62 mb/sec using Atto 2.8 benchmark utility, and about 40 something writes.[/b/]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using UL2D? Sounds more like the ATTO PSC (UW) or you're not in full LVD wide mode. Is this using FWB HDT to create a mirror maybe?

Back a couple years ago, sustained reads on Atlas 10K II using 2940U2B were 60-70MB/sec, even more with same drives but on UL3S, and SW was 41.6MB/sec, and that is almost three years ago.

In another thread and lifetime, Beige G3 UL2D Atlas 10K-IV SW: 68MB/sec was with the drive 50-65% full, after installing OS X (which folks think fragments files and directories heavily) and with 12GB of media files.

The new 73GB 10K Raptor should do well in Beige also. I'm amazed that they were able to tweak another 20-25% in performance numbers to push it to 55-70MB/sec. Fifty-five being the inner tracks, and that is with a "file pattern" and not just an empty drive, numbers that are right there with the Atlas 10K IV series and only 'marginally' behind the three big X15 drive makers.

Cool news Santilli,

?Just so there is no confusion, Rick sent you the cards(yeah, me), not Stephen. Stephen is out country these days.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Got the names switched around.

Anyway, the number are a little low. Any ideas how to tweak it? Install Softraid drivers, since I'm only using 9.21?

I just plugged the card in, taking out the atto uw card, and it worked.

The uw card is in the 37 mb Read and write area.

Fresh install of 9.21. It's in the slot on the edge of the board, the Tempo is next to it, and the Voodoo 5500 is in the third slot.

I have a scsi external cd-rom hooked up, the firewire La Cie cd-r burner, and two scanners, one prints also.

This machine has done 75 mb sec with a U3D card, and a raid array.

gs

4000N printer

if you are using the OEM UL2D and have narrow devices on the external port, that could put it into SE mode and drop down to UW performance levels. Try running with just the drives connected and nothing else. Run ATTO EPT 2.82 and double click the controller bus to make sure.

Also, SR 2.2 does not like to have ANY FireWire enabler in the extensions folder, that will slow down and affect performance as well.

One program worth taking a look at for benchtesting is DiskBasher. I think at some point we'll have to look in the ftp.macgurus.com and see what's in there to use. Apple included it in the OS X Performance Tools package CHUD at one time but pulled it. With Panther, it actually looks like it is providing accurate information.