Thread: can't boot classic

Hi

A colleague has just acquired a suite of shiny new eMacs and is currently installing various bits of software.

The problems is that the ones that have a Superdrive in them won't boot up in classic. In fact OS9.x is not even available in the start-up dialogue box after selecting system preferences and then start up disk, it just shows X and Network startup as the bootable volumes. What can be done to remedy this?

Also does anyone know if a OSX compatible version of MacAdministrator or similar software is out there? The machines are used in a college and as such, access to certain areas of the computer needs to be restricted, and also prints need to be chargable (macAdmin uses a credits system which the system administrator can alter according to who has paid)

cheers

Neal

If I understand you correctly all of them won't boot to 9, right out of the box.
    Thought I read that the current new crop of emacs and ibooks no longer boot to OS 9... is it *that* new? If so, he is SOL.

If it is an older emac (last revision that was being sold up until about a week ago) that will boot to 9, then it probably needs to have the 9 system folder repaired/blessed ala DiskWarrior, or just reinstalled.

The last crop of emacs/ibooks would not install 9.2.1 properly from a full retail CD; 9.2.1 installs, and the machine will boot, but with a little half-size window. Weird. Updating to 9.2.2 did not help.

The only way around this that I found was to use the Restore CD that came with the emac/ibook, which would require wiping the drive and reinstalling everthing, meaning 9 and 10, then trashing 10 (this user wanted 9 only) Maybe there is an easier way...cause that is a real pain.

Does not sound like this is the case, if it is on multiple machines, and right out of the box.

Charlie Don't Surf!

Look like Macadmin has an OS X version here.

Wow, I just got off the phone with these guys... very impressive software!!! Might be just what we need at work. Getting the 30 day free eval... Thanks.

Charlie Don't Surf!

[This message was edited by unclemac on Thu October 30, 2003 PT at 11:17.]

Hi Unclemac,

The machines in question are *this week* new.
    It would seem that the problem is a firmware issue with the new dvd writing super drives.
    9 will boot onto the machines with just combi drives but only opens as an interface on the super drive machines.

As for MacAdmin, it really is excellent once you get it all working, files and apps can be uploaded or refreshed onto the network at each reboot, and prying eyes and thieving hands can be kept at bay quite easily.

Anyhow I'll suggest your approach to the reboot with the Restore CD and see how that fairs.

Cheers

Neal

Hope I am wrong about not booting to 9...

According to the current emac page:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Need to use your Mac OS 9 software as well? The eMac lets you do that, too, running all your Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X Classic mode

-and-

Both models of the eMac boot up in Mac OS X, but they also come with the Classic environment, which runs compatible Mac OS 9 software and is automatically turned on when you launch a Classic application. We did this so schools could continue to run their Classic Mac applications at top speed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not really clear is it? I would guess they don't boot to 9, but it doesn't say they don't, it just doesn't say they do. And further down on the page in the chart, the system software is listed as: OS X

No mention of Classic mode, or booting to OS 9.

Clear as mud.

As they are new, and he has a pile of 'em, I think this would be a good time to call Apple and get the skinny before he pulls his hair out.

Charlie Don't Surf!