Thread: invalid b-tree node size... how can I mount disk?

OS 10.2.6 in my Quicksilver 733 started acting really weird yesterday... applications started quitting unexpectedly and I couldn't log into the machine via my B&W using Appletalk. iSync got errors syncing and my Palm HotSync started quitting.

I recently reinstalled OS 10.2 (on Monday) in order to get rid of a lot of garbage software I hadn't been using and to improve performance. I installed all updates through 10.2.6.

When I restarted the machine (thinking it just needed a restart), it gave me that four-language warning about turning the computer off. I did and restarted and got it again. So I booted into single user mode and I got the warning again and a kernel panic. All I get now is kernel panics and warnings.

I used Disk Utility on the 10.2 CD and got the following error, which, when you click repair, it does nothing:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Invalid B-tree node size
    Invalid B-tree node size
    The volume %@ needs to be repaired.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note that the name of my OS 10.2 volume did not start out as "%@" so I guess this is pretty bad.

Question 1: Is the harddisk bad? I just bought it two or three months ago, so I think not.

Question 2: How can I mount this drive so I can pull some data off of it. I need to get some billing data (for basically all of last month!) off the computer. I backed everything up on Monday, so I'm not losing any client data or other important stuff, but I didn't have a chance to back up my MYOB data file and I'd like to get the billing back.

I pulled the harddrive from my Blue in order to get the machine up and running, but the Western Digital drive doesn't mount and I don't know how to figure out its drive name/number in order to do a mount command in Terminal.

I have the distinct feeling that people are going to tell me to go get Disk Warrior. I have version 2.2 (or whatever the last OS 9 versions was), but I don't have OS 9 installed. I guess I can run out and get DW 3 at CompUSA, but I'd rather not get it until I need it (unless, of course, the consensus is I need it now!)

Congrats on the store reopening! This is great news for everybody!!!

Thanks,

Anthony

With your drive in FW case, running 9.2.2, launch Disk Warrior, turn drive on. AND - try to copy the files off BEFORE you repair it. Either from DW's Preview window of the old/new desktops, or if it can be mounted.

Actually, I trust DW 2.1.1 (no 2.2 that I know of). Put the drive in FireWire case. Kaye helped someone else through a rough drive problem - or was it...? Anyway, with FW, you can turn if on AFTER booted and DW is running.

Note: my advice on FW - plug in while OFF, not when ON. Safer.

Backup is not an "option" - too late, but.

There have been a 'rash' of problems with WD drives. Things either fail soon.... or later. Some folks zero a drive when they first get it - maybe its already used up its quote of bad blocks, too.

So... what you want is FW case, and to install 9.2 on your QS/G4. If using FW on B&W, you eventually need a FW PCI card. The FW ports are pretty bad and 100% likelihood of a failure eventually.

When you reinstalled, did you erase/partition? or archive? I don't understand why Apple offers archive if you can't go back to the old system. With linux and windows you can go back. Me, I'd burn a disk image of the old system....

Memory failure more likely than hard drive. Hows the RAM? Crucial? Did you verify with DIMM First Aid? B*W's don't like to mix different brands or spec'd RAM. Either all PC100 or PC133, and all 8 ns or faster, and CAS2. And memory does/can fail over time. Check the good MacIntouch "BAD RAM" report. There is a lot of odds 'n ends and links in the Memory FAQ... really just a scrapebook of memory related ideas.

DW3 seems to have trouble iwth SCSI and more so with B&Ws than later Macs, no need to buy it now (wait for the panther version at this point anyway).

What I would buy is a nice new drive while you get this fixed. NOW. Seagate, Hitachi (the new models are in at CDW, or the 180GXP is *very nice*). Maxtor has a winner also. Keeping a spare drive handy makes sense - set it up, put it in FireWire case, have a full backup on it, and handy if this type of problem comes up.

There is a product from Prosoft called Data Rescue with reader reviews here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/....html#storytop

I believe Rick intends to offer the three stand alone products, Data Rescue, Data Recycler, and Data Backup, as well as the Suite, and what Prosoft calls the OEM flat pack which is all three on a CD (for much less cost) as a MacGurus optional bundle with hard drive sales.

I did a Search on the Gurus store because there are products that are in the inventory but the sales pages are not finished yet. Couldn't find either Prosoft or Data Rescue however. Perhaps an email to Rick or Laurie.

Rick had Prosoft send me the three apps. So far I have only tried Data Backup and it works like a champ. I don't have a hosed hard drive for Data Rescue but those reader reviews indicate that it works.

I would not rule out Disk Warrior 3 but I think the safest bet would be either a reinsall of 10.2 if you can or Data Rescue. Keep in mind that some of those reader reviews are from the older shareware versions. When Prosoft took over, the app was significantly upgraded, at least that is my understanding.

There is a free downloadable evaluation of Data Rescue X and it lists all of the files but it only repairs one. But, in your case, my guess is you need the bootable CD for Data Rescue X unless you want to install the drive in another machine or, as TZ sez, in a FireWire case, just to see what Data Rescue can find. http://www.prosoftengineering.com/pr...ata_rescue.php and scroll to the bottom of the page. k

Thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet and bought DW3, though it really annoyed me that you could only get the upgrade by them mailing you a CD (like who upgrades ahead of time!?! I only upgrade when I have a problem!!!)

I had to buy the full version and pay double so I could download it but.... SUCCESS! DW recovered the data and I got back what I needed. I had it fix the disk, though when I rebooted to see if it worked, it would start to boot up and then drop into a single user mode shell prompt during the grey Apple screen.

As long as the data is recovered I'm fine with that!

Thanks again for the replies...

-A

Another reason to have Disk Warrior in your "arsenal" of utilities for troubleshooting (as well as backups), and maybe a spare drive to use.

Impressive, too.

Odd that you got dropped into single user mode, but as you said, small price to pay. did you run fsck anyway, while there? I assume next step is to do a "zero-all" to insure media if okay (OS X 10.2.3/4 added the feature to Disk Utility).