Thread: freezing on startup

I've done the searches and have tried a few suggested solutions for system stability.
    My system:
    G4 533 (single processor), OS 9.1, 768 MB RAM, ix micro card in PCI slot for second monitor.

System has been rock solid for the 3 years since I purchased the computer. Haven't installed any new software or hardware prior to freezing. I still use OS 9.1 (and not OSX) due to compatibility issues with my version of protools and plugins.

I have tried rebuilding desktop, numerous PRAM resets, numerous open firmware resets.

Not too sure whether it's possible to restore the system software without having to initialize startup disk and reinstall all software. Should I upgrade to OS 9.2 ??

Any suggestions appreciated.
    cheers,
    otto

....mac newbie...be gentle :P

What system utilities are you using? Looks like a file or disk corruption issue. Could also be bad RAM.

Have you tried booting from your sytem CD?

Your title says freezing on startup which would suggest damaged extension, extension conflict, corrupt preference file, or system file needs 'minor repair.' (ResEdit can repair the system file, you may have an extension that adds a resource, like serial or registration number tied to the system.)

Conflict Catcher 9 for extension conflicts helps (7-day demo mode from Casedy & Greene).

Disk Warrior 2.1.1 from Alsoft.

Sometimes the easiest method is, yes, just do a backup, initialize, clean install rather than spend hours and days looking.

And I would update to 9.2.2, especially if you can find 9.2.1 CD. The CD is always preferable over the updaters which aren't even as "complete" in some areas.

RAM can also gradually get worse. RAM test, DIMM First Aid, might be good, too.

thanks for the replies.
    One thing I didn't mention is that these freezes are intermitent....however they are becoming more regular. Often the only "startup workaround" is to zap the PRAM.

TZ, I did some searches and have found that Casady and Greene have actually ceased trading! Are there any other applications that are good for finding extension problems?
    I will see if my local mac dealer has Disk Warrior in stock. As far as testing RAM, which would be the best application for that? - is MacEKG a good one?
    I have downloaded DIMM First Aid and will give that a try.
    Will also try upgrading the OS.

M.Brane, I only have the system utilities that come with the install disk at present. I did try booting from the system CD and that did work.

regards,
    otto

Extension Overloadhas been around for a bit- maybe they're the only game in town now that Casady&Greene are done..

Diskwarrior is really a must-have; there are problems that happen in 9 or X that Disk First Aid, Norton, etc just cannot deal with, plain and simple.

9.2 was mostly designed for X's Classic- not sure of the benefit beyond that if you're not using X. Is it an improvement over 9.1 otherwise? Some have said 9.1 is the most stable release of 9.
    Back when I used 9.2 regularly, I had a moderate amount of problems- no more or less really, than 9.1. Course, I really thrashed hell out of it when I used it as Classic and native on same disk partition as X ..used to break it all the time.

'There's no perm
    option for the naughty
    bits.'- from man chmod

Perhaps a clean-install of the OS will do the trick. Here's a handy little utility app that makes the process much easier.

I would second TZ & boots suggestion of DiskWarrior. TechToolPro has worked fine for me too since I gave Norton the boot. Both utilities are more robust than Disk First Aid, though I still run DFA first, and last when performing system maintenence.