Thread: Re Beige Desktop "Phantom"/ non-keyboard startup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi,

I have a PM Beige G3 Rev. C Desktop, 266 Mhz running OS 9.1, with
    288mb and a10gb Western Digital hard drive.

I've just solved a non working power supply fan issue via a PS swap out only to have another problem.

Now, as soon as the power chord is plugged into the back of the computer it starts up by itself with no keyboard (or anything else) attached. In addition hitting the shutdown button only causes the computer to restart via both keyobard and file menu. (Restart and sleep file menu commands work properly.)

I reset the cuda switch keeping it pressed for a few seconds, and zapped the Pram as well for as many as 5 chimes. I then plugged in the keyboard, monitor, and other peripherals. This appeared to temporarily solve the issue and the computer responded to the shutdown command and stayed shutdown (via the file menu), until I plugged in a SCSI drive and powered the drive on. This immediately caused the computer to start up all by itself.

Doing another cuda and Pram reset has returned the old problem: the computer starts up all by itself when the power chord is plugged in and restarts when both the powerkey and file menu buttons are activated.

The only way to shut the computer down now is to unplug the power chord. The computer has a working Pram battery as it shows the correct date even with the power turned off at the surge protector end.

Is the new PS responsible (since the old replaced PS did not behave in this way) or is something else the culprit? Do I need to reset anything else to for the power up/ down of the computer to work properly?

Thanks for any suggestions, others might have.

not sure this will solve your problem. I've seen G4's with similar problem reported on Apple Discussions, try search there also. For now,

Reset OpenFirmware:
    first hold down the following keys to get into OF:
    command + option + OF, Then enter the following:

init-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all

replaced the battery?
    run Disk Warrior?
    clean OS install (up to 9.2.2)

Replace the drive with a newer, larger drive (likely to see much better performance).
    Add a PCI ATA card.

Hi TZ,

Thanks for your message back. Regarding the firmware instructions I have seen a Return after each of the steps you mentioned on Apple discussion groups. Does that mean type the words "Return" or hit the return key? So is it

>init-nvram (hit return)
    >set-defaults (hit return)
    >reset-all (hit return)

OR

init-nvram
    type words "return"
    set-defaults
    type words "return"
    reset-all
    type words "return"

I want to be sure As i've read that you can really mess your computer up if you don't get this right.

Thanks,

Nept 34

When you see something like <return> what do you think it means? Usually I leave it out and figure users are smart enough to know. Some people put quote (" ") marks, then say, "leave out the quotes, too.

As for messing things up, I doubt it. A little knowledge is dangerous, true. If you look, I posted a LOT of notes and links to Apple Developer Notes on the whole OpenFirmware subject, booting, etc.

All those commands do listed are to return the machine to defaults.