Thread: The amazing G4... that won't restart

Actually, it will restart - if you select restart from the menu. But it won't startup if you shut it down... unless you unplug it or switch the socket off at the wall (then when you plug it back in or switch the socket back on it starts up whether you ask it to or not). However it will wake from sleeping and puts itself to sleep at appropriate and requested intervals (unlike so many others).

This is a dual 450 G4, exactly as originally sold bar the addition of some extra RAM. It was purchased second-hand from a reliable source and apparently never did this amazing trick for him.

When you shut the thing down, it does what it oughtta - drive winds down, fan stops, monitor goes to sleepyville but that fecking white light on the front of the CPU stays ON (when you put it to sleep, the light doesn't pulse like it should either!).

Then, you try to turn it on the next minute, hour, day, whatever and the magic button on the keyboard does nothing (and I've tried FOUR keyboards), the magic button on the front of the G4 does nothing (and it IS hooked up correctly). So you say some bad words, do a little dance, unplug it and plug it in again and bang! It boots right up even though you didn't tell it to.

I have already tried the following:
    1. zapped the PRAM,
    2. reset the PMU,
    3. taken out the one unoriginal part (a kingston 128Mb RAM chip)
    4. done a clean install off the original system cds,
    5. tried the same with everything from there up to 9.2.2 and even X.2.6 nothing will rectify this and there IS no other software on the Mac now)
    6. I've swapped the power cable for three others
    7. Checked all the internal connections are good
    8. tried other keyboards
    9. I've asked it politely
    10. I've threatened it with irrational violence

I work as a magazine production manager, half my professional life is spent fixing this kind of thing for other people so it's a great joke around the house and office right now that I have a Mac which refuses to behave. I feel like PT Barnum or some other circus organiser who's managed to discover an amazing new species which no one has encountered before... only, instead of people applauding and throwing money, they end up shrugging and rolling their eyes...

Ideas? Preferrably ones that don't involve the words "out" and "window", I can think of them myself

kimberlyt,

?Seems you've done all the usual resets.......You said zapped PRAM, did you do so via Open Firmware? If not you probably should. Hold the Command+Option+O=F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
    Return
    >set-defaults
    Return
    >reset-all
    Return

?Next, you might even try removing the battery, unplugging the power cord and then pressing the PMU once. Leave the darn thing overnight then install batt, power cord and power up.

?Has to be some little thing that'll correct this. PMU reset would have been my first guess.

Rick

<font size=-1>Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?</font>

And if what Rick sez doesn't do it, make sure the keyboard is plugged into the G4's USB port, not a powered USB extender or USB hub whether powered or unpowered. Also try the other G4 USB port.

Max USB cable length is 5 meters. Yeah, I know, very long but I have to mention it. k

Rick - thanks, but that is something I already tried to do...
    Kaye - again, thanks, but I've tried a few different keyboards (including the original one, no extender cable), all plugged straight into the back of the Mac.
    It is really making me crazy now.

The front power button on my G4 MDD behaves differently than my G4 QS so yours may also be different. But I vaguely recall someone on the Apple forums mentioning something about his G4, holding the power button down put his machine to sleep and he could wake up from that. Sort of sounds like your situation. Maybe either a mechanical or electrical problem with your power button.

I know that Apple has had some problems with those buttons. For instance, some folks had great difficulty getting the MDD to start by pushing on the center of the button, me included. Apple responded with http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86337 to push the button at the 10:30 position. Marvelous. Some Cube G4 problem solutions http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88044 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88037 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58844

The Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) generated another fix from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31278

Unlike the Cube, your power button requires a mechanical push. Maybe something in these links will help. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'm outta ideas. k