Thread: Open Transport = Freeze

Computer freezes when starting up after the icon for open transport is shown on screen.
    The computer, a two month old eMac, is not connected to the internet or to telephone line. After filling out the registration last week, the computer attempted to dial the phone then crashed. The computer froze when it was rebooted. It will not boot with Apple basic extensions, but will run with extensions off. After trying to locate the extension that might be the cause of crash, open transport was found to be the culprit. The machine will boot with open transport extension turned off, but then Appleworks will not run.

I removed preferences of several items related to open transport and the computer booted correctly once with open transport extensions turned on, but after the preferences were rebuilt, the freezes returned.

This is the first Mac for my sister who lives in a rural area about 100 miles away from me so it inconvenient for me to go there to try to fix the problem. She had tried to sign on with an ISP, sbcglobal.net, but gave up because she could not get the e-mail to work with any degree of dependability. I did find and remove remains of the ISP software on the machine.

The machine does boot correctly on System 10.2, but most of the programs she requires are for System 9, (9.2.2), so she prefers to work in Sys 9.

I've posted a similar prob on my beige g3 with sonnet g4-700 card.
    I constantly get buss error on startup after Open Transport loads.Removing it solves the problem.
    Don't know what to do.

For over three years I've used OS X, and OpenTransport gets updated as part of the Classic component updates when you launch Classic the first time under OS X. Never given me trouble. Always used 9.2.2 to begin with.

I re-installed and noticed that open transport loads first now.Before it loaded second (After the sonnet ext.) I think i had put a space in front of it and maybe this was messing with the sequence. Seems ok ...FOR NOW!

Yep, that was the problem.
    Open transport must be the first extension to load. No more buss errors!

Quote Originally Posted by scsi wuzzi
    Yep, that was the problem.
    Open transport must be the first extension to load. No more buss errors!
    hum. I always used Conflict Catcher, rarely had to change load order, and never changed order for OT. But maybe you have 3rd party extension - 3 way extension conflicts were never erradicated, even as "OS 7.0" was suppose to solve and fix it by making extensions into appe (mini-applications). one reason I hoped OS X would be extension conflict free - still dreaming but it is not as bad. Still, OT doesn't NEED to load early or first, wouldn't make it a gereral rule per se.