Thread: Pismo is giving a grey screen at startup. PMU?

This happened suddenly: I have a Pismo with a 40 gig drive/768 ram/Jaguar 10.2.6 that I use as a mobile preview Mac for on location digital photography. It was sleeping, I woke it up to shut it down and swap the drive with the old one because I had some files that I forgot to copy off of the old HD. When I went to start it up, the little light at the top of the keyboard between num lock and the volume was lit and the Mac would not start up at all. I pressed the reset on the back and it would chime but stop at a blank grey screen. I tried to startup from a CD, no go. As something similar happened to me a few months ago with a Wallstreet and it turned out to be the PMU - replacing it brought the Mac back to life. What do you think, just get a new PMU and replace?

I need this 'book so please give me suggestions asap - thanks.

Anybody out there?

I replaced the PMU and still no go. Now I am puzzled.

Where did everyone go?

We are here greg but for some, like me, my PowerBook knowledge is thimble sized.

Since the problem started when you switched drives, have you tried switching back? Another note, unlike SCSI drives, the data pins on an ATA drive are what I would call fragile. You need only look at the logic board side of the drive to see how small the solder joints are for the pins. Does not take much to crack the joint, just a bit of off-center or angled pushing on the data cable connector when installing. Or possibly one of the pins is bent and not making contact. k

Thanks Kaye, I am glad that people are around. I have used the drive in another Powerbook so I know that it is good.. The 'book does not boot off a CD either. If the drive was bad I would expect to get the OSX equivalent of the flashing ? folder. Maybe it is the same in X. But here I get nothing but a grey screen.

OK, then my next guess is something has got to be loose inside. I would check all connections if you haven't already. k