Thread: Please HELP, going crazy or something.

How quickly my hopes are dashed. I got a free g3 beige from work, a sister company pawned it off on us and they pawned it off on me. I took it home and went out borught two new drives for it (the boot drive had been removed). Anyway. This is what I have done to it.
    ----------------------------------
    Added Maxtor 30GB HD
    Attempted install OSX
    Removed addon network card
    Removed Audio/Video capture card (big one)
    Attempted install OSX
    unplugged monitor on 2nd install
    OSX fulling installed
    Updated/patched (although OSX update wouldnt install)
    Added another 256 PC133
    Added the 2 previously removed cards
    Added second drive
    Added IDE cable with two connectors
    Didnt work (wont boot, but here startup music)
    Removed cable, cards unplugged power for second drive
    Works
    Attempt 2nd drive again, ide cable.
    Nothing (wont boot, no music)
    Remove ide cable and 2nd drive.
    Nothing (wont boot, no music)
    I hear HD clicking and then nothing.
    No boot to CD by holding C key.

Anything, I have checked and double checked cable seating, power connections. Running out of ideas.

Oh forgot to mention. Floppy, CD Rom and Zip (SCSI I think) are all internal.

The last time the comp would boot was before the failed install of the OS 10 update.

?It's very likely that the PC133 ram you installed isn't programmed to run at 66 mhz, not many are. Try removing it and see what happens.

Rick

<font size=-1>Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?</font>

I took out the new, same thing. Took out the old same thing. This was working for 2 days with the new memory in there, and usually with bad memory you get a message or a beep or something.

Maybe you already did this, but did you reset PRAM and/or cuda reset, as well as Open Firmware reset?

Is it rev A, B, or C?

Master, Master with slave, Master only on the IDE jumpers.

Most PC133 will not work. Rare that it does. PC100 CAS2 10 or 8 ns is best (which is not the original DRAM used which is/was PC66).

Radeon 7000 is fine.

10.2 (no mention of which version so I assume the latest), will do some housekeeping chores during startup.

CDROM - best if its Apple OEM or looks like.

Have to partition your IDE drive to have a 7.5GB volume first for OS X.

Some people resort to using XPF, some don't.

CPU? stock? bus? stock 66 mhz and hasn't been oc'd?

I tried the orginial memory only, still no luck, there is a faint single beep right after I turn it on, which I am taking to mean that the memory is fried. Going to get new PC100 memory and try that.

Maybe you already did this, but did you reset PRAM and/or cuda reset, as well as Open Firmware reset?
    I did PRAM not cuda or OF. Dont know how to do either of the latter.

Is it rev A, B, or C?
    Not sure

Master, Master with slave, Master only on the IDE jumpers. Master set with Master jumper.

Most PC133 will not work. Rare that it does. PC100 CAS2 10 or 8 ns is best (which is not the original DRAM used which is/was PC66).
    As far as I know the orginal that was in there was a 256MB PC 133 becasue that is what I looked at to get an idea of what I needed.

Radeon 7000 is fine.
    10.2 (no mention of which version so I assume the latest), will do some housekeeping chores during startup. 10.2 Jaguar no update. Within first 8.0GB

No overclocking.

Update. PC133 looks to be the stock RAM that came out. Was working fine until I went on a rampage plugging and unplugging cables and drives. I still here a slight single beep on start up. I went out and got PC100 and installed and same thing happened. NOTHING. This was working any ideas on how to get it back to working. Also using a PC monitor with the cable converted pluged in.

Dear Iceman,

Adding a new hard disk (Maxtor 30GB)
    O.k., I am giving for granted that you have removed the OEM hard disk your machine came equipped with.
    Reguardless the fact you have a Rev. A Beige G3 or not, you should be able to install 1 IDE hard disk as "Master" on your internal IDE bus.
    So, let us do this.
    The first thing you might want to check is weather the new 30GB Maxtor is an UltraATA specification hard disk. If you went out and bought the new DiamondMAX Plus 8 product, it is surely an UltraATA/133 disk (BTW, congratulations: you have bought what I consider being one of the best budget hard disks on the market ).
    In this case, you should know that such products need to be connected using an 80-conductors, 40-pins interface cable for best compatability (look on page 3 of the White Paper, towards the bottom); in addition, such cable should allow you to jump the drive simply as Cable Select or CS.
    I strongly suggest you to get such cable from this vendor, as the IDE bus mounted on your logic board bears all the 40 "male" pins, while more modern IDE interface cables usually bear only 39 "female" pins. OWC sells such interface cables which will fit properly into your Beige G3 (I am talking from personal experience).

Once you have completed installing the new hard disk, you will need to reset the PRAM during booting your Mac, then put an OS CD into your CD driver and hold down the "C" key while the Mac completes the booting sequence.

If you want to install OSX, you need to be aware that our old Beige machines have a little bug about such operation:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Once you are in the OSX desktop, don't install the OS yet, but, rather, select "Disk Utility" from the "File" menu above.
    <LI>Once in disk utility, you should be able to select the new drive you have just installed; select it and choose to partition it.
    <LI>When in the partition window, make sure you select the 1st partition to be LESS THAN 8GB (say, for example, 7.5GB).
    <LI>Choose other partitions to your liking, then make sure to select "Install OS9 drivers".
    <LI>Then click on "Initialize".
    <LI>Once the initialization process is over, you should be able to resume the installation process of OSX; this time, the 1st. partition of your internal HD should be an available volume for installation.
    <LI>Follow the on-screen instruction to complete OS installation. Then re-boot your machine.[/list]

On re-booting your Mac, you should be able to start the OSX from your new drive.

In case you are still getting some problems, these are other two trouble shooting gigs you could try:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Switch off your Mac, un-plug it from the wall socket, open it up and look inside, on the logic board for a tiny little button, located on the edge of the logic boarc to the left of your PCI slots; the word "RESET" should be inprinted next to it. That's your CUDA button and, using a long pensil, you should press it down for about 30 secs, or so. Once you have finished, make sure it has "popped-up" in it's natural position. Reconnect everything and try booting.
    <LI>It is possible that your old Beige G3 PowerMac is in need of a new PRAM battery. Follow the instructions to replace it.[/list]

See if the above is of any help and report back your results.

The rest we shall take it after you have safely managed to install an OS on your internal HD.

Ah.... one last thing: if you plan to use OSX, you will need to expand your internal RAM to at least 512MB, for safe operation.

Without going into too much detail, I strongly suggest you to look on the Crucial Technology web site for SDRAM modules with these specs:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>3.3 volt (V)
    <LI>Unbuffered
    <LI>DIMMs must NOT be more than 64-bit in density (64-bit wide)
    <LI>168-pins
    <LI>PC-100 or PC-133 backword compatible to the PC-100 standard
    <LI>CL 2-2-2 or CAS-2[/list]

Good luck.

Costa

My understanding is that only some recent MDD macs support "Cable Select" method. Maybe Maxtor only, but some users report having trouble with CS in MDD G4's with some drives and going back to master/slave.

My beige is using IDE cables from www.hypermicro.com - the rounded type that are great in the MT case to wind through.

Cables They were $6 and $9 and I use them in my B&W also. I was about to spend $30-40 each for such from another vendor.