Thread: Rev1 B&W G3-- OS 10.1.5 Kernel Panics!

OK, I've read all the stuff about how I'm flibbered on the ATA chip in my lowly Rev1 B&W.

So, I'm willing to live with a crummy 6 GB drive (because I can't get any other drives to boot-- if you know what to set the pins to let me know!)

BUT, what I really want to know:
    Why is X (10.1.5 exactly) panicking? Actually, I think it's a kernel DUMP (if not correct term, it's WORSE than a panic, this I know). I've been trying to get this going for some time now. Basically, I want to keep my little B&W (affectionately known as R2D2) alive as a file server (iTunes, etc.) at home. Right now, I'm very seriously considering converting it to a Linux box (please note that I'm a computer instructor who needs to learn Linux anyway-- not a glutton for punishment-- oh, and I'm a geek).

So here's the details:
    1. I know for a fact it's a Rev1 (no sled, chip matches the profile)
    2. I've stripped it down to all factory-originals and tried to run X overnight, to be met with the happy-fun UNIX dump on my screen come AM.
    3. To be fair, the FireWire is dead (not sure if it's the card or the controller, but Apple swapped out the card when I first bought it, because I thought it was bad-- turns out Premiere just wasn't ready for prime time). Could that play a role?
    4. Something is hinky in OS 9.2-- if I boot into 9 (which is usually, because I have an ATA card that is 9 only, and YES I removed it to test before) attempting to launch the Startup Disk control panel results in the application unexpectedly quitting.

PLEASE HELP! Due to children, debt, life/wife, I don't have money for ATA cards, motherboards, etc. In other words: am I scr$wed?

Would Jaguar fix the problem? (Note: my family bought the 5-license ed. of Jaguar and live quite a ways away, so I can't easily get them to send it to me-- I want to make SURE Jag will do it before chasing rainbows). I'd love to enable Rendezvous with iTunes (easy-peasy) and use Keynote for school presentations...

THANK YOU!!! (in advance)

Linux is free if your time is worthless...

Here is some info that might help a bit from my exp with 10.1.x

With my old G4 450(sawtooth) and 10.1.x had a lot of kernal panics when shutting down the mac. It only happened with 10.1.x, and stoped after i upgraded to 10.2.x Ever since i upgraded i haven't seen a panic again. Few friends of mine had the same problems with various macs, until they upgraded also.

So might be worth a try since you can get a copy easy.

Hope some of this helps.

Vince34
    G4 1.25 DP (MDD/FW800) -- 1.25gig Ram -- 2x18gig SCSI -- 40gig & 80gig ATAs (all Seagates)
    ATi Radion 9000 -- 21 Inch Apple Studio Display

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but your past sins that will be your undoing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your original Apple RAM is crap. Check the memory section's FAQ or look for B&W. The G3*Zone on www.xlr8yourmac.com goes into disk drives and other issues.

You want to download and run DIMM First Aid, make sure you have PC100 that is rated at 8 nanosecond, or PC133 that is 7.5 ns.

Your hdd needs to have the jumper set to master, or in some cases, master-only. A new drive will work faster and better (much better - believe me!) even without a PCI IDE card (strongly recommended for rev 1's).

OS X - no matter what version, uses RAM in a way that OS 9 never did usually, and the smallest deviation from SDRAM specs will cause those kernel panics. There is a MacInTouch Report "Bad RAM" you might want to read.

Your original Apple RAM is crap. Check the memory section's FAQ or look for B&W. The G3*Zone on www.xlr8yourmac.com goes into disk drives and other issues. Links to all of the above and where to learn more or to find reliable memory is in there.

I appreciate the help... It does seem that RAM is a common issue around X, G3's, etc. I've downloaded the DIMM app, and I'm going to give it a go ASAP. The machine came with a 64 MB chip from Apple, and Promax added (Kingston?) 128. Both are PC100. I later added some PC133 RAM from Simple. Hope *some* of it works!

Also, it seems like Jaguar makes sense as well. Besides, one of the reasons this machine is at work to begin with is so I could possibly do my class presentations using Keynote. (And run VPC, and network with PC's, etc.)

As for adding a new master drive... I tried adding 3 drives: a Western Digital (80 GB), Maxtor (40 GB), and IBM (16 GB). NONE would boot, no matter what settings I tried (master, cable select, no jumpers at all, etc.). I just got the blinking question mark of pain... Any links to solutions are much appreciated. And I'm re-thinking the Linux thing (although maybe on a partition?)...

Hey G,

Did I miss something here?
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Your hdd needs to have the jumper set to master, or in some cases, master-only. A new drive will work faster and better (much better - believe me!) even without a PCI IDE card (strongly recommended for rev 1's).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression that Rev 1's would corrupt data and be unstable with a modern ATA drive, unless ones uses a PCI ATA card, or at least Intech's SpeedTools. Not so?

Charlie Don't Surf!

Not always. use to. sometimes. Would always if it had TWO drives, there was no slave support. IBM had a lot of drive failures with the 75GXP line, but it also had crappy performance even in systems with normal ATA/33 and /66 support.

Improvements in hardware are one thing, but also improvements in the drive firmware. Without using HDST, which was only slowing the drive down anyway, not a very good solution.

Of course there is always SCSI which they were somewhat better with.

Good to know Gregory.

Pixleboy:

About 2 years ago, I tried 3 different drives with my stock Rev 1 BW, and had massive corruption (would not even boot within a couple days of a clean install, back about 9.1) with each - one at a time. Finally used HDST from the Gurus to solve the problem, and then added a SIIG ATA card about a year later. Everything has been perfect since then.

Running 10.2.3 and 9.2.2 with 2 drives each on their own channel on the SIIG. No panic or any other problem in over 6 months...

Several others here are running similar setups as well...I would go Jag if at all possible if I were in yoour spot. And do round up some quality memory!

Charlie Don't Surf!

Well... Jaguar has WRECKED the G3. Actually, there's obviously something seriously wrong with the machine. RAM checks out OK.

BUT, I can't even get past the gray apple. I get shunted out to the shell, given a sh-2.05a prompt, and since I don't know UNIX just sits there. DOH!

At least in 10.1.5 I could get the thing running before it went crazy on me. Hmmm, bad ATA, fried firewire, a couple of unsupported cards in there...

I'm definitely installing Yellow Dog Linux at this point.