Thread: Newly upgraded B&W -> PL 800 MHz ZIF won't chime/boot

I'm on my "second" PL processor here. It is a replacement because I was unable to boot with the first one I had purchased and waited on a replacement per an RMA number issued by Powerlogix. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same problem.

My problem is that I cannot boot again (or still). All jumpers and switches are correctly set (for the B&W). I also pulled the battery, pressed the CUDA button, and waited a few hours. I then took the steps of unplugging the main from the power supply, pressing the power button to "drain" the supply, unplugging the power supply from the logic board, pulling the battery, and then pressing the power button on the board (per Apple's suggestion), and then pressing the CUDA button. I waited 24 hours and after plugging everything back in, the Mac still won't boot.

Technically, it does "fire up". The disks and fans spin and board LEDs light up. I've pulled and reseated all the cards, memory, reseated the processor multiple times and still nothing (i.e. no chime nor video, etc). I've also tried booting with the bare minimum: CPU, video card (Radeon 7000 PCI), and a stick of RAM.

As a side note, I had been running OWCs "Mercury" 550 MHz G4 ZIF for about 2 weeks when I found out that the 800 MHz G3 was available (at which point I issued a request to OWC to "trade-up" to the Powerlogix unit). I had upgraded the ROM to Apple's G4 v1.1 (per the requirements to have run the G4) but do not quite understand/believe how this would be the issue (as the 800 Mhz ZIF is suited for a G4 "Yikes" board as well). My only thought on that is that there may be some conflict with that boot ROM and the G3 processor. I did not remove the ROM before removing the G4 and sending it off to OWC for the Powerlogix unit.

I will attempt other methods to by-pass this, but I feel I have exhausted all alternatives - I may end up just purchasing and returning a G4 again from OWC to get to boot with the programmers button down, and remove the ROM image.

Anyone out there with suggestions?

What you did was a firmware update. B&W's have no ROM to pull.

You may want to do an Open Firmware reset. That clears PRAM and nvram and has nothing to do with the machine firmware, at least you aren't doing anything to it, just "with" it. Forces a rebuild of the device tree and device registry. The B&W does not need or like to have a lot of cuda resets and newer G4s shouldn't - once is about it. OF reset is the preferred method.

I'd have waited for the G4/1000 from Sonnet and stayed with the 550 - maybe tried to OC it (gradually after it stabalized for a couple months).

Rev 1? Rev 2?

Just booting from Jaguar CD can be helpful at times.

Any "good" reports of this cpu over on xlr8yourmac?

It's a Rev. 1; I would have gone with the Sonnet, but for the money, I may as well have gotten an MDD G4 (or at this point buy a new G5). Too many bandwidth and architecture restrictions.

Last night, I got it to chime twice, but very faintly. Unfortunately, it didn't get anywhere beyond that (no further boot).

Also, trying to get it to reset via OF doesn't work; I can't get it to chime, much less boot into OF.

As far as the ROM goes, I am not talking about a phyisical chipset. If you ever install a G4 into a G3 (B&W), you'll need to "upgrade" the firmware to allow for the G4 to operate properly.

Using the Jaguar CD won't help either as I can't even get to any desktop or firmware to begin with.....it just won't boot....maybe time to look for a new mobo....

I'm typing on a B&W G4/500 (XLR8 7400) and the "ROM-in-RAM" architecture.

Have you gotten the OWC Mercury G4 back in booting and working? or not? Now that I thought required some changes, stuff I never like or want to do... I'm actually a chicken at actually OC'ing or modifying mobo etc.

The firmware update had to get written to disk and then updated. If you hard drive is a potential problem, pull the cables etc and connect another?

Can you "down-clock" the cpu to rum at a safer slower rate?

I wonder if there is a benchmark comparison of the G3/800 and G4/550 on xlr8yourmac? Have you asked or posted your "non-results" there in hopes of some feedback?

I returned the G4 to OWC as I had it only for about 2 weeks; I was looking for faster clock speed - I don't use too many Altivec aware apps so the G4 was actually a bit of a hinderance.

There is not any point in even considering any of the drives in this scenario. I have had them all unplugged and unpowered during all my testing. I'm not concerned about software right now - I can deal with that.

To reiterate, I cannot get a chime out of the board. CDs, Techtool, Norton, Startup disks, etc. will not help.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.