Thread: PowerMac G3 266 MT startup problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When I got this PowerMac G3 266 MT w/ G4 500mhz processor)from eBay, the computer was running without any problem. It had only OS 10.2 installed in the hard drive so I
    started format the drive (two partitions) and installed OS 9.1 first and then went to install 10.2 to the second partition. And then computer went off all of sudden. The fan was running but the LED light (ON/OFF power button) was off. I tried to restart but the keyboard wasn't working either. Everything went dead except of the fan running. That was it.

Next day, I changed the battery on the logic board to a new one and reset the CUDA button and reseat the RAM (actually I took two out of three modules out of the sockets) but none could bring the power back to the computer, except this strange phenomenon. When I turn the computer next morning, the power came back! But only for a few minutes and went off again. And this morning, the power came back again for while (about five minutes) and went dead again. Does this mean instability of the power supply or the logic board or the processor failure? Any idea

Unless you are using SCSI drives, OS X needs to be on the first partition and within 8GB. OS 9 can be anywhere. Maybe there was a reason it had only Jaguar.

RAM could be one issue. PC100 8 or 10 ns. We've had discussions on RAM, there is a RAM FAQ, and links to some good discussions and links, references etc over on Apple discussion forums.

What did you use to format the drive? Drive Setup or Disk utility?

What type of drive? is it on a PCI card?
    Drive Setup: initialize, then run the Test Function if possible.

Make sure you have PC100 that meets the proper specs. If you can run DIMM First Aid, that will give you a better idea.

Rev A? all the PCI cards are seated tightly. Zif is firmly clipped properly. Nothing loose. Drive is set to master.

I donno about ebay'd items. I know folks who put their stuff up there, but if I didn't know them from the bbs. With announcement of new Macs for Monday, with lots of folks unloading their gear, often G4 systems, and of course we hear what doesn't work, the dead systems, the hard drive that fails, etc.

G4/500, XLR8? OWC?
    RAM is all... ?
    PCI slots have....?
    ROM?
    video?
    3rd party USB etc?

CDROM or CDRW and is bootable I assume.

One thing to do is an Open Firmware reset:

Boot into OF (command option OF) followed by these three:
    init-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all

I'd boot from Jaguar, Partition, install.

Do you have TechTool Pro 3.06? Norton 6.03? Disk Warrior 2.1.1? OS 9.2.1?

Dear Gregory:
    This morning, I replaced the power supply box to a new one. The Mac started fine. The RAM is OK but now the Hard drive doesn't show up on Desktop (the drive has 9.1 already installed) but I could boot from the CD. It was running awhile but the power went off again. The was running but I was unable to access from neither the reset button or the keyboard.
    It is very strange... Any idea?

It got hit hard maybe? lightning? it did work for awhile. Maybe you can find another beige, mobo or parts.

I dreamt of selling my Beige and 7300 and B&W so I could buy what Jobs is calling the fastest desktop computer.

I would boot from Disk Warrior CD. A hard crash often corrupts the boot blocks and DW is your best choice.

Does it have the proper voltage regulator for a G4? You know that there is one regulator that is a no-go, right?

Do you have a G3 zif handy? I've got a 400 MHz Apple just for emergencies. I'm worried you bought someone else's troubles, of course.

Zapping PRAM, does that have any affect on G4 support? I don't know what the instructions are and if you need an emergency floppy, but some settings are stored in nvram or pram I think.

I am not at ease with voltage testing and the mechanical aspect I'm afraid.