Thread: Mac OSX will not read audio CDs.

I am hoping that I could get a little help from someone on this board, and hopefully I am not repeating a previous question that has already been properly answered.

Recently, my 17" iMac has not been reading audio CDs. I place the CD in, and I am instantly met by this error message:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore."

This is followed by the options to either Ignore the error or Eject the disk. Ignoring the message simply rids the message from the screen, but the computer will still not read the disk, or even acknowledge that there is in fact a CD in the drive.

It's driving me mad.

It's a 17" iMac, 512MB memory, Mac OSX v10.2.6, the drive is a Pioneer CD-RW/DVD-R. Any other information needed, I can try to provide.

Thank you for any help provided.

"There's no difference between me and everyone else. All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

A little more info would help...

I am not real familar with the imac's - is the Pioneer CD-RW/DVD-R a stock drive or an add on? If it is an add on are your drivers updated and is OS 10.2.6 supported?

Has this drive worked in the past with this puter?
    Are you using Toast, iTunes or another application to read or play music CD's?

Are these burned CD's or store bought?

The Pioneer CD-RW/DVD-R is a stock drive. This drive has worked in the past with my computer, and only recently have I been receiving this message.

I am using iTunes to play/read CDs.

Only audio CDs are affected by this problem, store bought and burned. I can still burn CDs, but Mac OSX will not recognize them after they are burnt, even though the burn will be perfect.

It still reads other disks normally, such as backups and my games.

---

"There's no difference between me and everyone else. All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

If this is the stock player then yes this seems strange. Have you double checked all your iTunes preferences? Have you used Software Update and got the latest iTunes.

Have you or did you recently update any system or other software?