Thread: sequence of repair

i will ask again,what order do i use?fsck,safeboot,diskwarrior,repair permissions.i use terminal also.
    also when i safebootn restart after safeboot do i log in first or do i restart from the login screen which has a list of all my users.
    i have a copy of current update(egsx2 6)on my hd,and i run it when i have probs.please let me know what to go with first,second and so on.thnx for past help and new info.

posecap

[This message was edited by posecap on Mon June 09, 2003 PT at 22:07.]

There are two steps to a Safe Boot, running fsck, and disabling the startup items; and, disabling login items from launching.

if Disk Utility finds a problem that can't be repaired, use a 3rd party utility. So far, I'm the only person reporting Disk Warrior 3 may not be perfect - so it could be my specific setup.

Run Repair Permissions if applications aren't launching or if you attempt to do something which you can't. Sometimes an installer or update will necessitate running repair permsissions.

Without a specific problem, there is no specific steps or answers that I can suggest. However, I would suggest scanning the various books on Jaguar to help you feel more comfortable with the OS.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The best preventative maintenance is a backup, a clean system backup, which require a bootable 2nd (or 3rd) hard drive.

- G.

Dear Posecap,

I am not that OSX guru yet, but it looks to me that Gregory has posted you sound advise.

The first thing you should try to do is to backup your sensitive data on external media (put it somewhere it is safe, in case things get even wors): better safe than sorry is my motto.

Let's see if hardware wise things check out as they should:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Do you own a Rev. 1 or a Rev. 2 B&W?
    <LI>On which IDE bus do you have your 40 gigger?
    <LI>Have you just recently upgraded your internal HD?
    <LI>On which IDE bus do you have your internal CD-R connected to?
    <LI>Or is it your CD-R external, perhaps through the Firewire port?[/list]
    Sorry if all of the above have already been treated by you on some other topic, but I just thought it would have been better to start afresh with the above info.

Also, provided you weren't aware of it yet, on David Pouge's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Second Edition there's a specific section on how to run repair permission: very useful reading.

Let us know.

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

I think if it was addressed as a performance issue, it would have been more fruitful to get addressed.

Faster cpu, more memory, even a new disk drive, and then look at controller card(s), ATA RAID vs. SCSI, G3/900 vs. G4/550 or hope for G4/1000 (if rev 1, the G4/1000 might never happen)... or move to a G4.

A G4/500 on B&W is acceptable. 512MB RAM is probably low, and an additional 256-512MB is in order. Faster disk drive(s) definitely, and put OS X on its own 16GB volume, and all the users on a 2nd drive, might help and make sense, even put them on an ATA RAID and leave OS X on its own non-RAID drive (three drives across the bottom works well in B&W).

CPU upgrade: $300
    RAM upgrade: $100 (512MB addt'l)
    3 x 80GB WD SE drives: $90 ea?
    SIIG ATA RAID controller: $139? (there was a rebate, too)

Giving OS X its own volume with lots of free space to grow and for temp files (for CD burning), or use Toast and assign a scratch volume for burning. OS X needs a lot of temp file space even if it doesn't seem to use it, it's no longer available.

- G.

sorry costa and greg,im not too computer savy to answer your questions.ide is new to me ,so is rev.1 or 2.i'll look for the answers with some help.plz bear with me thnx.

posecap

Dear Posecap,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ide is new to me ,so is rev.1 or 2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics and you can read more about it in this link.

Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 B&W G3s
    The Blue & White G3 (a.k.a. Yosemite) was released by Apple in two different revisions:
    1. <LI>Rev. 1 Yosemites are sporting an internal IDE controller which returned corruption data issues (especially on hard disks' read activity), on any hard disk connected to it, other than the OEM one. Such first revision IDE controller does not "like" much modern DMA modes modern ATA hard disk drives are sporting; you could check that out through these XLR8YOURMAC articles:
      <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
      <LI>B&W G3 Rev 1/IBM Deskstar Data Corruption report.
      <LI>Compatibility Issues/Problem Reports on the new B&W G3.
      <LI>IDE Slave Drive Upgrade for the B&W G3 (read the text in RED).
      <LI>Does the OS X disk driver solve the issues with modern IDE drives in Rev 1 B&W G3s?.

<LI>Rev. 2 Yosemites can be distinguished from the previous version by the details explained in this "New Features of the Latest Rev B&W G3" article. Pay particular attention to point #3 "Revised IDE Controller Chip": if you compare your internal IDE controller chip to the one pictured in that article and yours bears the "402" ending number on the chip's cover, then you are the proud owner of a Rev. 2 Yosemite; otherwise, it's a Rev. 1.[/list]
    In case you have difficulties in finding the IDE controller chip inside your Mac, look at the top edge of your logic board, in front of your PCI slots (which look like white rails with connectors in them).

So, here are the different solutions in adopting an IDE hard drive, depending which Yosemite revision you have:
    In case of a Rev. 1
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>the quickest and cheapest way to avoid corrupted data issues is to connect your new hard disk drive to a third party modern IDE host controller PCI card fitted in one of your spare PCI slots.
    <LI>Such cards, besides curing the data corruption issue, will also return you best performance from your new Ultra ATA drive; the important thing is that the card is marked as "Mac compatible".
    <LI>Mac compatible IDE host controller PCI cards which I feel comfortable in suggesting you, are:
    1. <LI>ACARD AEC-6280M PCI ATA-133 IDE card.
      <LI>MIGLIA Alchemy ATA 133 PCI card for any PowerMac PCI.
      <LI>SIIG UltraATA 133/100 Pro card, supports hard drives larger than 137GB.
      <LI>SONNET Tempo ATA133 card.
      <LI>SONNET Tempo Trio card.

<LI>Both the MIGLIA and the SIIG product use the same technology from ACARD's product; so, you could safely say that both the MIGLIA and the SIIG cards are in fact ACARDs' repackaged. Even Apple System Profiler will show such cards as "ACARD" under the Card's name section, in the "Devices and Volumes" tag.
    <LI>The SIIG card is a good 10-15% cheaper than all the others on average (depending where you shop at), and comes with a nice 5 years limited warranty, against the usual 3 years applied by the other vendors.
    <LI>PROVANTAGE is apparently offering the best deal around for such product. I am currently using a SIIG Ultra ATA 133/100 RAID Controller card for Mac, inside my old Beige G3 system and I am very happy with it.
    <LI>SONNET products, instead, are based on PROMISE TECHNOLOGY Inc. products: PROMISE is a very reputable vendor of such controller cards in the Wintel world.
    <LI>SONNET Tempo Trio product could be of interest to you, as it combines in one single card the following:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Two Ultra ATA133 IDE channels.
    <LI>Two Firewire ports.
    <LI>Two USB2.0 compliant ports, backward compatible to the USB1.1 standard.[/list]
    <LI>You may find such product interesting as with one card you would also cure the Firewire and USB compatibility issues Rev. 1 B&W G3s' are known to be affected from (see this XLR8YOURMAC Compatibility Issues/Problem Reports on the new B&W G3 article about it).
    <LI>Once you have installed the new IDE controller through the added PCI card inside your system, you can thus connect to it an IDE hard disk drive knowing that you won't suffer from the corrupted data issues Rev. 1 machines are affected from. Useful links about IDE controller cards and hard disk installation guides, are:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Frequently Asked Questions on PCI IDE Controllers with notes on firmware updates, tips and other information you may find useful.
    <LI>Adding a 2nd IDE Drive to B&W G3 or G4, a photo illustrated Guide about adding a 2nd IDE drive to Blue and White (rev 2) G3 or G4 Mac systems.[/list][/list]
    However, should you be the proud owner of a Revision 1 Yosemite which came fitted with an OEM PCI SCSI adapter card like this one and a SCSI internal hard disk, you might want to evaluate wheather it's more cost effective just swapping a new SCSI hard disk drive or to bear the costs of a PCI controller card *PLUS* a new IDE hard disk drive.

In case of a Rev. 2
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>in the event you are the proud owner of a Rev. 2 Yosemite, all you would need to do is to connect your new IDE hard disk, following the above "Adding a 2nd IDE Drive to B&W G3 or G4" isntructions as a guide line.
    <LI>In the event you still need to buy a new hard disk, in my humble opinion, good IDE drives at a reasonable budget cost you could look into, in order of preference, are:
    1. <LI>SEAGATE Barracuda IV series - A 40Gb size should suffice for normal needs.
      <LI>WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar series - Model #WD400BB should do the trick.
      <LI>MAXTOR DiamonMax Plus 8 series - Model #6E040LO looks to be the best bang for your bucks.
    [/list]
    HTH

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

[This message was edited by Costa on Thu May 22, 2003 PT at 1:39.]

[This message was edited by Costa on Thu May 22, 2003 PT at 1:41.]

[This message was edited by Costa on Thu May 22, 2003 PT at 1:55.]

[This message was edited by Costa on Thu May 22, 2003 PT at 3:52.]

hey gurus i fixed my prob it seems.i installed jag alone.with 9.nothing on 9.i seperated all users and gave eacch only 2 apps each .no access to anything else.music files are shared but only to listen.i have password only to me.so far so good.thnx.

posecap