Thread: "Be@rPad" Scanner Challenge!

I have recently acquired a Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus USB scanner (formerly under the Mustek badge and known as the BearPad 1200C I believe) but am having real trouble installing it. I have an 8500 185mhz processor, 448MB RAM running OS9.1 with a Keyspan 2 USB port PCI card.
    As far as I can see the problem lies with the driver. Once I have installed the driver from the CD ROM and try to scan something from Photoshop 6, an error message tells me the scanner is not installed and that key libraries and plug-ins are absent. I've checked Apple System Profiler and the Keyspan Card Assistant, both of which see the scanner and seem fine. The installer seems suspect, the read me files instruct you to select the destination folder of the driver as the Plug-In Import/Export folder in Photoshop. Once installation has finished, the files are not in the selected destination file, but in the TWAIN Preferences Folder.
    I have tried Packard Bell and Mustek websites as well as driver specific sites, but I haven't had any joy as yet. If you can help me out I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers,
    Riderama (UK)

Hey Riderama,

A few thoughts:

(1) If you can find the plug in files on the CD, try doing a drag-and-drop to the appropriate folders on your HD instead of having the installer do it - there are a few scanners out there (as well as modems) that actually require this odd method of installation, which works fine

(2) Are you adverse to using the scanning software that came with the scanner? A bunch of us had to get used to that in the early versions of OS X while Mac got their Firewire act together - I rarely scan out of PSD anymore

(3) Too bad this little app won't work...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/18495

...it says that it does not support Mustek scanners because: "Most other unsupported scanners are parallel-port scanners internally, with an internal USB-parallel converter."

...which leads me to believe that while this scanner may be reliable - it is certainly very slow - and may be of the age where the bulb is not giving you the most accurate color anymore (scanner color quality fades with time just as any CRT monitor) -- you may want to consider a new(er) model. My 2c on that: Epson (any true USB model) will make you quite happy.

Hi strayduck

Thank you for your suggestions - I was beginning to wonder if anyone would reply! I followed your advice and gave the scanning software bundled with the scanner another try and - success!
    But here's the funny thing - I tried scanning from Photoshop a few scans in and got the same error messages as I was getting before. "OK," I thought, "obviously doesn't like Photoshop," and returned to Color It! 3.0, the aforementioned scanning package bundled with the scanner. I found that this didn't work now either. It would seem that Photoshop (I'm using version 6.0) corrupts the scanner plug-ins, driver etc across the board. After re-installing the software I was back to scanning successfully, so no harm done. Serves me right for being a Photoshop snob!!
    You're quite right about it being slow, but until I have the necessary disposable income I won't be able to replace the scanner with a quicker, up-to-date model. Until then, though, I'm quite happy to trundle along with this one - at least I'm scanning!!

Thanks again for your advice
    Kind regards
    Riderama