Thread: BeigeMT: Rev C?

I have a Rev A BeigeMT that works fine. I have a controller that requires Rev C. I finally decided to give it a try. Don't really need slave support, and dont' have trouble with Jaguar.

Sometimes from what I've read, it seemed that "upgrading" a Rev A to C might actually add problems, even if it does add slave drive support (and OS X seems to add such support also, wtih a "virtual" ROM).

The ROM was working in the original (rev 2 motherboard) Beige, but in mine, no amount of prodding helped. No bong or chime. Just the fan went on. Nada even with cuda, pram, or removing DRAM chip. Didn't pull the battery; I don't think that should be needed.

Put back my Rev A ROM and it boots fine. But this time there was a "poping" sound as if a small capacitator went. no smell, no sign. But worrisome none the less.

Return the ROM? I would assume he'd take it back, if for no other reason than to test it and honorable thing to do.

Has someone confirmed that a rev 1 mobo can't just use any ROM, and my impression is that you need or at least should have a rev 2 moto to go along with Rev B/C ROM.

I am contemplating doing the G4/1000 from Sonnet at some point. I hope that it doesn't require a Rev C.

besides adding slave support, the real reason is that Adaptec at least (and probably ATTO) recommend C machines to fix bugs in PCI 2.1 support in these machines.

Any idea why it didn't boot?

I have 10.2.6 and 9.2.2 on this machine, G4/466, 768MB Crucial, ATTO UL2D, USB dual port, Radeon Mac.

- G.

Ciao Gregory,

come stai? It's good to see you again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any idea why it didn't boot? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well..... let's see.... how about going through this check list together?
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>What kind of Voltage Regulator Module do you have on board? Is it the dreaded "ROYAL..." one?
    <LI>Are you sure the new ROM DIMM was perfectly seated?
    <LI>Did you have to remove the personality card to fit the ROM DIMM?If yes, did you make sure it was correctly seated?
    <LI>Is your USB dual port PCI card combined with some other port (e.g.: Firewire)? Have you tried to instal the ROM DIMM after pulling out the USB port PCI card?
    <LI>As a matter of fact, I would have (personally) tried it with no PCI cards in it, just to see if it booted.
    <LI>Have you tried to reset the Open Firmware (using the Control+Option+O+F keys on start-up), by typing:
    0 &gt; reset-nvram
    Press Return
    0 &gt; reset-all
    Press Return[/list]
    There is obviously a RAM check that doesn't pass. It could be due to a number of reasons; my money is on an instruction which is present on the NVRAM (probably written by OSX installation), which tells the memeory controller how to address RAM and Level 1 & 2 cache pages from the CPU. Such set of instructions are incompatible with the new ROM DIMM Rev. C (which also carries these kind of instructions), which you are trying to install.

Mine could be a long shot, but you could give it a try, couldn't you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Didn't pull the battery; I don't think that should be needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well.... Gregory... what date is inprinted on that PRAM battery? Is it more than 3 years old? If yes, IMHO, a new one won't hurt.

Just my 2 worth.

Good luck.

Costa

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

I just thought it would be "nice" to add Rev C, just to know I'd done everything that could be done.

There is no nvram-reset for Beige machines, for Open Firmware 2.x, that command applies to NewWorld (B&W and later). But you have to be able to boot somewhat even to do that. Also, add a "set-defaults" and then the "reset-all" for best results.

Yes, it was firmly seated. Tried twice. I had a G4 at one time and researched to make sure I have a good voltage regulator.

Replaced the battery last year.

All the RAM is Crucial (and came from B&W, all identical). The memory test, I don't think it got that far. Fan, no bong. Never made it to the boot loader More like when you have a cpu that has the wrong multiplier.

The ROM was working before, from one of the regulars who owns a number of Beige machines over on xlr8yourmac.com

I never touched the Perch personality card. In fact, the less, the better. The ROM card fits very very tightly.

I have seen people burning rev C ROMs. Not sure about the process. I've read on Apple discussions of lots of people having far more trouble wtih their Beige systems AFTER trying to match a Rev C to their Rev A's and trying to install 10.1 etc, often bought from OWC when they were selling these.

Obviously there is always more to know and unknowns. I'll go through the G3*Zone and see if it turns up anything.

- G.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Mon May 19, 2003 PT at 8:07.]

Dear Gregory,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...you have to be able to boot somewhat even to do that. replace the nvram reset with "set-defaults" and then the "reset-all" for best results.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you were gettin the fan on....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Yes, it was firmly seated. I had a G4 at one time and researched to make sure I don't have the Royal (pain-in-@$$) voltage regulator.

Replaced the battery last year and not a problem.

USB card is ONLY USB.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.k., those are sust out of the equation...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All the RAM is Crucial (and came from B&W, all identical).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have something like this Micron Technology product, correct? IMHO, those are the best DIMMs you could possibly fit inside that G3 of yours: congratulations! Those modules shouldn't be your problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    The memory test, I don't think it got that far. No fan, no bong. It has to do that. I think. More like when you have a cpu that has the wrong multiplier.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now... that is something worth while investigating: have you overclocked the FSB by any chance? What speed are you running at present? 66MHz or higher? If higher, have you considered dropping the FSB speed down to 66MHz and test it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Because the ROM is "read only" there is nothing in it to clear.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. But I was referring to the NVRAM on your logic board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still tend to think that ROM has to match in some way the motherboard revision.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is true. However, I have also seen many users on the Apple forum upgrading to a Rev. B or C ROM DIMM, without experiencing your kind of issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have seen people burning rev C ROMs. Not sure about the process. I've read on Apple discussions of lots of people having far more trouble wtih their Beige systems AFTER trying to match a Rev C to their Rev A's and trying to install 10.1 etc, often bought from OWC when they were selling these.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm... Most of the issues I am aware of from the Apple forums are due to compatibility with multipurpose PCI cards and video cards, when such ROM DIMM change occured. You could drop a line do "Smilelyme" Rick on the Apple Beige G3 forum: he seems to have had some interesting experiences with those....

I would still insist to try that ROM DIMM with the FSB clocked down to the original 66MHz and with all other PCI cards pulled. Do you have an IDE hd in there to boot from?

My argument is to give it a good fight before raising the white flag in surrender.....

Le me know how you got along.

Cheers.

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

I wasn't clear somewhere, I was saying that I never touched or changed the bus or fsb. Only that it was "acting" like my B&W would if I tried 550 MHz on a G4 7400 rated for 500 MHz was all.

It "is" stock except for added memory and the G3/466 (which is set by a rotary dial).

Thanks for the quick response. The guy that sold it to me things my beige "has issues" and I think the ROM chip didn't make it in shipping or when it was pulled.

Costa, and thanks! you were replying while I was cleaning up my reply and my own bad Englash. ;-)