Thread: OS X won't install on by B&W - Kernal Panics

Can't get OS X 10.1 to install on my B&W (now upgraded to a G4 550 using the Powerlogix Zif)- just put in the Sonnet ATA133 card to run the 20GB hard drive due to constant corruption problems when attached to the mother board. I WAS running Jaguar just fine but I had to deal with the corruption issues. PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks

?Glad yo made it here. Did the Open Firmware reset do any good?

Rick

Hey Rick

Unfortunately it didn't. I'm going crazy here. I've pulled all extra ram, the original processor, video card are all in - I've even tried the card in a different PCI slot. I thought I had OS X already on - nope. I've now tried about a dozen times and am continually getting kernal panics preventing me from installing anything. Should I restore my original system software that initiall came with the computer?

Rick,

Is there something in the information of the panic that could give me a clue? For example: "...previously dumped as "Latest" state. skipping..." or "memory access exception"

any ideas?

I would pull the original RAM, but actually, start with DIMM First Aid and see if all the RAM passes, is "OKAY" and is 8 ns. Then go from there. PC133 is your best bet at this point. Also, the B&W doesn't seem to like mixing RAM, at least in my experience. Which is what I've done, all same spec and vendor rather than mixing.

I'd skip the beta 10.1 as well.

Make sure cables are okay and the Sonnet has the current firmware. Sounds like you have a rev 1 B&W as well. Have you visited the G3*Zone on www.xlr8yourmac.com yet?

- G.

Have you needed to slow down the L2 cache, or to enable it? Take a look at Friday's news on www.xlr8yourmac.com and consider using Daystar's if you need to tweak the speed (is 2.5:1 automatically set?).

A G4 is going to deliver 164MB/s memory thruput. Your previous G3 was 99MB/s and often much less than that.

The original RAM in B&W's was probably not up to spec, was not good RAM, but was safe or best available at the time (maybe) but not designed for faster cpu's than G3/300 or 350.

when OS X PB came out, a lot of users had to upgrade and replace RAM. I had to take out even Apple's. I use to get one to three freezes a week under OS 8.6/9.0, but once I had Crucial PC100 designed for Yosemite, that ended. I recently replaced even that with all PC133 256MB DRAM (1024MB for $200).

Did you reinitialize your drive once you had it on the Sonnet? Have you tried running Drive Setup's Test Function to scan for bad blocks?

You might want to consider getting one of the newest drives, they are much faster, even on an IDE controller, especially WD special edition, or IBM 180GXP w/ 8MB cache (and now that sonnet supports such drives.

You could leave your 20GB on the Sonnet for backup or an emergency OS X boot system, which is pretty much essential if you want to repair or run Disk Warrior etc, rather than from another partition.

- G.

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback - I'm currently trying to install again after taking out the original Apple RAM - I've got a single Crucial 256mb in there now - so far so good.

I did intialize the drive while attached to the card.

Right I've got the G3 processor in it - will do the upgrade later - I just need my system back (thank god for my new Powerbook).

Funny thing is it was all working great for a while - running Jaguar 10.2.5. I think I remember updating to 10.2.6 then I started getting some odd things happening with the drive. Perhaps if I get it up and running, I'll stay at 10.2.5 on the B&W.

It Worked! I took the original ram module out and OS X installed. Right now I'm updating the files via the web. Next we'll see how Jaguar behaves.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll continue to give feedback for anyone else reading the string.

Stephen

Glad you got over that hurdle successfully!

It was 10.2.5 that caused some trouble for USB devices and hubs. Keyboards are a small hub, also. I went and bought a new Apple (white) k/b, along with a 2=port USB PCI card as a "just in case."

I would go to 10.2.6 first in one update, then the others, skip QT 6.1.1 and grab 6.2. Stuffit 7.03, and the others - all 200MB of stuff (I have never bothered with iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iCal.. the "iLife packages." Too much.

More RAM. 768MB is a nice number if you can.

Various things like bad RAM can cause disk problems and corruption. it helps to have the console configured to report any crashes or exceptions.

Some operations use available RAM if possible. Just booting into Jaguar can show that 200MB+ is already being used. Your boot volume wants to be 8-12GB, and that is without loading media files in your home directory (I keep those on another drive.)

- G.

Alright Stephen,

?Glad to see you are getting somewhere. The problem with trying to pin these types of things down is there is never a single fix, always takes persistence and a whole bunch of attempts to figure out what went wrong. Once again, persistence pays off and you will be up and running.

?We all have been following and inputing ideas as they come. BTW, what happened with the zip thing, did that solve anything or do you now think it was ram?

Rick

Which ram should I get? Right now, I've got a 256mb Crucial module in - it's a PC 100. In an earlier message, Greg thought the PC 133 would do the trick.Isn't it best to keep with the same that's already in the system?

Right now, I'm loading Jaguar - so far so good.

Rick - the Zip drive didn't do anything. I detached the ribbon cable and still had the problems with the kernal panics. It wasn't until I took out the ORIGINAL APPLE RAM that came with the computer when I got things to work -- go figure!

Stephen

Ok - looks like the original apple ram was the culprit. I'm now up to OS X 10.2.6 and all is running smoothly - even left it on all night without problems.

Now what do you think about putting in the other ram modules (not including the apple version)? I've got a 128mb and a 256mb - both from MacMall I believe. They are from different manufacturers (NEC and Alpha(?)) Do I take a chance and use those, maybe run them thru DIMM First aid, or just buy all new memory from Crucial. AND should I get the PC133 or 100 speed? There's a PC100 in the machine now.

Whatever you do or get, run them through DIMM First Aid. The reason for PC133 is to save seeing how PC100 is now more expensive.

I would probably not use the 128, but you should be able to boot into 9.2 and check them out and see if they are in fact CAS2 PC100 8 ns. If so, give them a try. 512MB will work, more the merrier.

At one point Crucial had a $10 instant rebate per DRAM chip, then $5, maybe they'll come back, but maybe not.

- G.

Greg,

Here's something weird - I didn't create a separate partition for OS X as I've done in the past. How do I reboot into OS X? It's not showing up in my start up disk - just the name of the hard drive.

Stephen

Scratch the start up question - somehow the control panel folder got duplicated and ended outside of the system folder for OS 9.2 - found the right control panel to make it work.