Thread: Jaguar upgrade on G3 beige

I installed successfully OS X (10.1.5) on my G3 beige/300 Mini Tower after upgrading the firmware. However OS 10.2 upgrade seems impossible to install as the computer freeze. Configuration:

Memory: 256 DIMM x 3 for a total of 768 Mb
    HD: 4.26 GB IBM DDRS-34560W Media (formatted HFS plus)

Anyone to help?

------------------
    Domjp

Run DIMM First Aid and insure that your RAM is "good" PC100 10 ns or 8. What is the scsi controller? 4.5GB is just enough to install.

I have three PC100 8 ns CAS2 Crucial which are fine.

There are a number of threads and tips on Beige, but probably in the OS X General forum.

Other things to do: 1) disconnect ALL SCSI devices (only for the installation and configuration), 2) Use built in video (set to 640x480). That's what I had to do to get X.2 to install on my Beige box.

If you're going to use SCSI, all the UW cards are kapoot but some ATTO cards do work, Miles2 is a special case - again, more info on recent threads on Miles2 & Beige & OS X. Jaguar is hard on RAM, needs some good disk space to work with. But I've never had trouble installing. I would backup, initialize, and do a clean install. You don't have space enough to do an archive or anything. 10.2 makes 10.1.5 look like beta and a good idea to start fresh.

My system with Jaguar and an OS 9 folder takes up 3.4GB when not in use. If you launch Classic - it allocates 1GB of disk space even if it doesn't use it. Swap file, cache, logs, etc I'd say you'll run into trouble almost immediately. 10.2.6 runs well. Do the 10.2.6 combo update first, then any other updaters.

I'd shop for a new drive. Cheetah 10K.6 is $169. Hitachi $159, or a quiet Atlas 10K.4 $189. All of those are 36GB, 8MB cache, 65-70MB/s range. You can save a dollar on smaller, older, but I wouldn't.

Then again, IDE has improved, an ATA controller, and a WD SE Caviar 80GB $95 run well.

?Just a warning folks but the forum will probably be down for a day or two. We are going to move it this afternoon and it takes a couple of days typically for the address to propagate.

?Please hang in there, we'll be back up soon.

Rick