Thread: Help - G4 Always Boots into Open Firmware Not OSX

Hi,

Just setup the Gigabit Ethernet G4/400 I bought recently. Took out old 20 GB hard drive and put in new Maxtor 120 GB drive and a Radeon 9000.

Partitioned Maxtor and installed OSX 10.2 and then OSX 10.2.6 update.

When Mac rebooted after install of OSX 10.2 it booted in Open Firmware and asked me to type in
    mac-boot if I wanted to boot up. I did that and it then booted up OSX. Since then every time it boots up it boots first in Open Firmware as described above.

Someone told me to update firmware (it was v3.4f1) to new version. I did this (installed v4.2.8f1) but no change, still boots up in Open Firmware instead of OSX.

Anyway to get my Mac to boot up on OSX without booting Open Firmware first?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Hey Mark,

?I've never seen one do that. But I would absolutely do an Open Firmware reset and see f that clears your problem.

?Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you back in that Open Firmware Interface, on purpose though. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Return
    set-defaults
    Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and you should start normal bootup.

See if that gets it.

Rick

Did that help? I wonder if there was some type of password protection or something. There is a command to force dropping into OF on every boot.

If ricks suggestion didn't work, and you don't want to mess with cuda on these NewWorld G4's - ie, they don't like it! Removing a memory stick might.

I have never read or heard of anyone have a problem like this though. But used G4's have presented some with unexpected issues.

Thanks ricks and gregory for your help!!

Always greatly appreciated!

Well, the 'reset-nvram' thing did the trick!!

Rebooted and Mac booted right into OSX!!

Another crisis solved......... ;-)

Now if my PL Dual 1.2 GHz upgrade would get here I'll be all set!!

Mark

cowabunga!

?Great, battin a thou today. Let us know how that accelerator works for you.

R?