Thread: Somebody PLEASE HELP!

if anybody could help me, i feel like my mac has turned into a pc. this last week, i have been having alot of problems with programs quitting claiming error type 2. my external, firewire cd burner now prompts me with unreadable disk, please format when i put a blank cd in to record. my usb zip drive crashes my computer when i put a disk in. or just freezes when restarted and it is plugged in.
    i've got a powermac g4, 400mhz, running os 9.1
    two possible areas these issues stem from:
    just connected a network with another mac g4 and a pc. that night, while connected, my roommate's pc crashed as i was listening to music from his computer. it froze my computer.
    around the same time, i downloaded and installed the newest firmware updater. unfortunately, i didn't realise that it required os 9.2 so i tried to upgrade 9.2 but it tells me it has a problem reading the file: apple dvd player, and to try moving it to another folder. (other than my hard drive) which i can't do since my zip drive freezes the machine.
    how could i go about fixing this issue? namely to remove the current firmware and go back to the one i had, so i can try upgrading the os??
    please turn help me turn my computer back into a mac.

thanks.
    jai

Hi ya Jai,

?I'm going to be out for a couple of hours so forgive me if I don't repost very soon after this one.

?My first thought for you is to do an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and your computer will resume normal startup. You may have to reset your startup drive since it gets set to the default ATA Master drive on the first partition. If you are running with the system on any other partition after doing the OF reset you can hold down the Option key, the computer will chime again when you enter the reset-all command, hold the option key then and you'll get a startup selection screen, takes awhile to look everywhere for system folders so have patience.

We'll figure this out yet. Been a year since I ran OS9 but there are folks around here who can handle this better'n me anyway, I'm sure they'll jump in if this doesn't do it.

Rick

see ya in a few

hey rick, thank you for answering my call for help. i restarted my computer five times while holding in control+option+o+f. nothing happened. it just proceeded to boot up as normal. any ideas?? if you use chat services, i am on yahoo: jaisunrise is my handle. you can reach me that way instantly. thank you again for your time and advice. i want my baby to purrrr again.

jai

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. The command key is the Apple key.

Rick

I'm not hooked up to any chat, sorry.

rick,

well, i did the whole process, and restored my default settings. then tried to do the upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.1. however again, it told me it couldn't read the file "apple dvd player" so i tried booting from os9 cd. once again, upon trying to upgrade, it said the same error. so i deleted my dvd player off my computer. then ran it again. this time it tells me it can't read the file "big system morsels" which is in the updater.
    what is going on here??? how can i get things back to working functions and upgrade my "pc" to 9.2.1??
    thanks,
    jai

What is it that requires 9.2? Apple firmware?

I would reinitialize your drive; or do a clean install and update; but only after you've run Disk Warrior - which would have been first on my list after your crash. Too many little problems that need to be cleared up, and a full clean install is the best strategy. Also, its important to update the drive or use the latest Drive Setup.

Have you run DIMM First Aid to inspect your RAM? good idea to do so before applying the firmware in case that disables any.

Big Morsels use to be a common error when updating. not sure why now (3 yrs ago?) but Google took me to Apple Dev Notes, then then to the articles that deal with this issue.

RAM, dirty CD, SCSI cable or termination issue. OS 9.1 cleaned out some old legacy USB code and other stuff (sort of like what 10.2 and 10.2.6 did).

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 09 May 2003).]