Thread: Internal Hard Drive (Maxtor 60GB) crash??? Help!!!

Hello. A very scary thing happened to me last night! My internal maxtor drive (master drive) 60Gb 3 partitions just died last night without any reason! This what I did:
    I re-started my computer (G4, 733, last model before quicksilver) in os9.2 to work on a notation in Finale (notation program, not at all hard disk intense!). After I finished a new (huge!) piece, I re started in os 10.2 to do backups and email etc.
    No crash, no errors, nothing!
    But my computer would simply give me the question mark. By that time i already realized it was a serious hard drive error, cause I have 3 partitions (one 10.2, one 9.2 and one data) and my mac couldn't find obvioulsy any system anymore on that drive.
    the next step I did, was to put my 10.2 install cd in in order to re-install the system without replacing the old system. All the drives (the 3 partitions of my maxtor and the second (slave-)drive WD120Gb), showed up in the install destination window. I figured: wait, the maxtor drive still shows up so let me restart again, maybe the problem is gone. But no, it wasn't, again the question mark!
    I again started up from the 10.2 install cd and chose the os10.2 partition (which showed up again) as a destination and chose to install a second system (not initialize!)

The installation would begin but stop after 10 sec with an error just giving me the option to restart.

On the next attemp to install the system again, suddenly the maxtor drive wouldn't show up anymore, only my WD 120BG slave drive!
    I am desperate now!. I read the topic about Matthew Taylor's firewire drive that failed and tried the command+option OF shortcut and the reset command as discribed by Rick from macgurus.com but no results!

Please is there anything I can do. I have just finnished a huge BigBand arrangement that is saved on the os9.2 partition and I didn't have the chance to back it up. A month hard work would be gone!
    Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks!

PS: I did install now a new system on my slave drive in order to start-up mu computer! in case that helps.

------------------
    G4, 733,int. 60GB maxtor,
    120Gb WD, extern 40GB
    Lacie, 1GB RAM

Did you at any point try fsck on startup or run Disk First Aid from the Install CD?

The "?" is telling you it couldn't find the blessed system that should have been selected previously. Damaged boot blocks and/or driver partition.

Did you use the Option key to bring up the system picker to try switching systems?

Disk Warrior could help. Or booting from OS 9.2.2 CD as well.

Always have a second bootable system, of OS X, a FireWire drive maybe. You might want to see if you can buy and download Drive10 from MicroMat, buy another drive somewhere, maybe FW case.

So even now, booted from the WD slave drive, Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, can't access the data you need?

Can you see the drive in Apple Drive Setup so that you can UPDATE the driver?

Did you at any point try fsck on startup or run Disk First Aid from the Install CD?
    ==>Yes i did, but no result,

Did you use the Option key to bring up the system picker to try switching systems?
    ==>Yes i did. no result at all, after installing a new system on my second hard drive only THAT shows up.

Disk Warrior could help. Or booting from OS 9.2.2 CD as well.
    ===>I tried booting from my 9.2.2 CD. Disk First aid doesn't let me do anything withe defected drive but erasing it!

Always have a second bootable system, of OS X, a FireWire drive maybe. You might want to see if you can buy and download Drive10 from MicroMat, buy another drive somewhere, maybe FW case.
    ===>Well, I use my second (slave drive at the moment for that. I dn't have disk warrior though.

So even now, booted from the WD slave drive, Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, can't access the data you need?
    ===> disk first aid only exists on os 9.2 right? That I don't have installed on my slave drive. I will try that still. The only tool I have at the moment is apple disk utility and norton system works (i am on os x) apple disk utility only lets me erase the disk (how to install only the driver?) systemworks doesn't find the disk.
    Can you see the drive in Apple Drive Setup so that you can UPDATE the driver?
    ===> how to do that? Do I have to be in os 9.2?
    Thanks a lot for helping out. I look foreward to your reply. Do you think there is still hope?
    I mean disk utility shows me the disk (without the 3 partitions though). I did not do anything to the disk yet. No repair or examin programs. The disk is basically the way it ended up. I think the directory is damaged. It happend to me before last summer. The only solution was to initialize the disk. But back then the reaon for the crash was a heavy computer-crash. Not the case this time.
    I read on the internet that many people have problems with the spinning up of this particular maxtor drive. There seems to be the reason of the problem. But I guess the data is still all there. There MUST be a way to recover at least something? I keep hoping

Glad you are around. When you boot from the OS X Install CD, you can open Disk Utility from there, and access First Aid from there.

From the slave drive, running OS X 10.2, you've run Disk Utility and the master drive doesn't show? so you can't run First Aid now?

If ERASE shows up, you should be able to run First Aid. You might want to erase one of the volumes that doesn't have any files you need... I assume you backup your user prefs as well so you have mail etc saved somewhere.

Norton causes more trouble than anything. I do not advise using it, but if you have it, and you boot from Norton SystemWorks 2, Norton should be able to show missing drives/volumes also. Still prefer that you order Disk Warrior 3 which is nearly ready to ship a native OS X version. www.alsoft.com

Yes, I would install 9.2.2 on your slave drive, even on the same volume but it is best to partition a drive and have a volume for each system so that the Startup Manager can find each bootable system.

Norton's repair of Major Errors can be dangerous, create and make things worse. It has been safe(r) if and only if it is used AFTER using Disk Warrior, and for best results, to run DW again after running Norton. Norton is not safe even for SpeedDisk, just for the minor errors of fixing dates and bitmaps.

- G.

Disk First Aid does exist in OS X Disk Utility. along with Information, Erase, Partition (initialize), and the RAID tabs.

If you have not been running "Repair Permissions" in Disk utility's First Aid section, good to do it after installing updates.

Drive Setup is a Mac OS 9.x utility to initialize drives and perform other tasks.