Thread: DVD-ROM on B&W Problem In 9.2.2

I have G3 B&W 450, Rev 2, Sys 9.2.2, Radeon 7000, Quicktime Pro 6, 256 or more Ram, Apple DVD Player 1.3

I recently installed a 5 x DVD/32 x CD. It will not play DVD in 9.2.2. The player seems to be OK because, it did work when I was able to get OS 10.2 run on the machine. (Because of problem with memory and mother board, OS 10.2 would not run for more than a few days. I do not want to get into that problem.)

I get the message "Apple DVD Player could not open because required hardware not found."

Apple support site has information that is several years old and does not seem to apply to sys 9.2.2.

Has anyone else had the problem? How was it fixed?

Blame OWC. I bought one of those also for my Beige and it work in Jaguar. I have the Rage w/ DVD video card along with Radeon also in my B&W but my system is no longer kosher, its been two years+ since I actually used 9.2.2 for anything except emergencies.

How about if you reinstall 9.2.1 and the 9.2.2 update now that it can see the DVD ROM drive, it might install the needed component extensions?

Hi! I just went through the exact same problem with a Beige G3, including the same error message. Here is a link to the thread at the xlr8yourmac forum which described the problem and how it was eventually SOLVED! It'll work for you too!
    http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum26/HTML/000937.html

ESprung,
    Your suggestion to use the site to get a patch for DVD Player 2.7 has me half way there. The player loads and plays video, but I get no sound from the DVD. I can still get sound from a CD, but there is none from a DVD.

There are 2 extensions left over from the old Apple DVD Player 1.3: DVD DecoderLib and DVD Navigation Manager. I will try removing them from the system and see what happens. Thanks for help.

Video still plays the two extensions removed, but there is still no sound.
    Any suggestions?

Bailey, well... a shot in the dark (because, as you can see from my thread, I didn't know what I was doing) might be to try CD/DVD SpeedTools. 8600w/G4 suggested that the extensions that it replaces (i.e. the Apple DVD extensions) can help solve some compatibility issues, issues that I didn't have, and maybe you do. 'Cause once I got my DVD to mount, it just plain worked with the patched DVD player. On the other hand, you said that there were two extensions left over from the 1.3 version (uh oh) of DVD player. I'm running OS 9.2.1, and the extensions I'm using were extracted from my MacOS CD, which included version 2.7 of DVD player. So another (guess) would be to make sure you have the most current extensions extracted with Tomeviewer.

So, to repeat, I'd start with extracting and replacing ALL DVD player extensions (like I did) with the versions that came with DVD player 2.7 on the MacOS disk, and go from there (i.e. you see how I had to remove some that seemed to be in conflict with my Radeon 7000). If this doesn't work, try CD/DVD SpeedTools.

[This message has been edited by ESprung (edited 15 April 2003).]

Problem found. The Sound Manager Extension in Quicktime Pro 6.02 had been turned off for some reason. When turned on, the DVD player seemed to work perfectly in a short test.

Note: The link to TomeViewer did not work, but I was able to find a different location to download the program by using Sherlock.

Thanks to all of you for your help.