Thread: G4-733 Problems

A few months ago I posted some problems with a G4-733 (DA-Graphite) on boot up and while playing some games.

I figured out what was causing both problems. Something I would never have guessed.

When I first got this G4 (Apr, 2001), I bought a pair of Apple Pro speakers for (the little digital ball speakers). Late last year, I bought one of the MDD boxes and put the pro speakers on it and put some old analog speakers I had on the G4-733. I didn't really think about this before but that's when my booting (panics) and game playing problems (machine hangs) started.

Last week, I bought another pair of Pro speakers for that machine and all of the booting and game problems promptly vanished. Either there is something wrong with the analog audio port or these boxes just have to have digital speakers.

Any road, this seems to have fixed the problem. I would never have guessed that that would be it. Color me surprised. I just thought I would share this.

Cheers all,
    Bruce

Good catch. I never noticed it before but the DA model has two Sound Output Ports, a 2.5?mm Apple Speaker port and a 3.5?mm stereo, one DA and the other analog. Did you have the analog speakers plugged into the DA port?

See here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418 and scroll to near the bottom of the page. k

Intersting. My G4 imac at work came the Apple pro speakers, which work great in X. But for as long as I can remember, almost every time I boot into 9.2, a finder dialog box tells me that they are not working correctly, and to unplug and replug them (which works, and never a crash). Weird.

You can't plug analog speakers into the digital audio jack on a Mac. They plugs are physically different and incompatible.

I, too, sometimes have OS 9 complain about the Pro speakers not being recognized or not plugged in properly. If I power the machine off and let it come up in OS 9 from a cold boot, it doesn't do that. I'm guessing OS 10 does something to the hardware that confuses OS 9 and only a hard reset or unplugging and replugging the speakers clears it out.

Cheers,
    Bruce

You can't plug analog speakers into the digital audio jack on a Mac. The plugs are physically different and incompatible.

I, too, sometimes have OS 9 complain about the Pro speakers not being recognized or not plugged in properly. If I power the machine off and let it come up in OS 9 from a cold boot, it doesn't do that. I'm guessing OS 10 does something to the hardware that confuses OS 9 and only a hard reset or unplugging and replugging the speakers clears it out.

Cheers,
    Bruce

[This message has been edited by rogerwilco99 (edited 09 April 2003).]

I realize that Bruce but thought you/he may have tried an adapter. k