Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My new Mac won't install Jag. HELP!

FWIW, our QS that I mentioned runs OS X server 24/7. Don't think it has ever crashed since about 10.1.3. Like Ricks says, not a flawed design.

There used to be a couple apps (contol panels?) around that would allow you to trick the validation during the firmware install. But without being able to get our hands on the correct firmware, it of no use.

Don't know if this is of use, but some info here regarding firmware:
    http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000407.html

Some folks that had been OC'ing their 7410s and used CHUD performance tools to downclock the cpu. It might be 10.2.4 which has driven some people back to 10.2.3. It could be faulty L2 cache and CHUD or Sonnet Tune-Up (?) to slow down L2/L3.

I wouldn't rule out RAM, or that it was abused and prior owner tried to OC it to 1.1 GHz.

Any thoughts on pulling the battery etc?

But can they fix JUST those weird things on the logic board, or is it a $700 replacement? That is what I want to know.

J

Newbie, that link you sent might as well have been in Greek because I didn't understand ANY of it!!!

jason

I'd expect any shop that looks at your system is going to charge $100 and repeat some of what you've done, unless they can do some hardware diagnositics of voltage and more. Which is why I'd stick one stick of new Crucial AND try using CHUD (which is an Apple tool). The 933's were just 867's that were the cream of the crop I think.

I see dual 868's on Apple Store Specials for $1299 along with some other models. If it came to $700 I'd strip it or sell it for $700.

newbie and jpoprock, if you guys could go back and edit those l-o-n-g urls that are stretching the messages so that "wrap to window" no longer works, it would make it easier to display messages...

How do you edit them once posted?

J

The pencil icon up there to the right of the letter icon.

I edited one... but none of them seem really long to me. I'm not sure.

Hey guys... I on the Apple Discussion forum... we HAVE FOUND THE MISSING LINK. There are many many people having this problem. And the ONE thing we all have in common is that the Mac's serial number does NOT show up in the System Profiler. For Mac's that it does.. Jag install's fine. For those of us that don't, it doesn't.

What could be causing this??

Jason

newbie has one url that isn't in the "" "" format or is one of those that doesn't work even if it is.

This thread is the dark, scary side of buying a computer. And once you have one that works and you know the quarks it exhibits, hesitate to buy... though those new 1.4's are sounding like - for now - they've worked all the old bugs out, ie, its a "mature machine" and probably the last major model before whatever is next, aka IBM 970-based mobos.

OK boss, should be good now.

Let me know if the link is still not right.

Hey... how much do you think this computer would be worth as is? Like... if I didn't know what was wrong w/ it (if anything). I just paid almost $1500 for it. and that's about the "average". sometimes a little lower. But I'm sure no one would want to buy it if it didn't run Jag right? If I hadn't have tried to install it, *I* wouldn't even know it was broken. Shame on me for trying then.

What would you guys do?

I haven't taken it to Apple yet, or even called because another guy having the same problem is doing that. And I'm waiting for him to tell me how much they say it will cost. I'm assuming it's the mobo and it will be $700 or more.

I'm almost sure there is NO chance Apple's Customer Relations will back me up on this and not charge me for the fix out of warranty.

It sucks because the computer ROCKS otherwise and is practically mint. I'm near tears over it.

Jason

Another thread somewhere talked about how zif sockets can get dirt on/in them and screw things up. heat screws up RAM. I'd say it needs someone who can test all the voltage leads and make sure its working. The 867DP's are now $1300 and a new 1 GHz is $1499 at this point. Even making sure that the bus is running at 133 MHz would be nice. Anything that would tell you if someone tried to modify or over clock it or the voltage and try to get 1.1 GHz or something out of it...

Here is what this guy had to say about HIS experience w/ Jag... EXACTLY like mine:

by: Gary S
    Jason,
    I just got a call from the Apple shop that was fixing my Power Mac G4-933 refurb that Apple refurbished. I just got it a week ago and paid $1699.

Anyways Apple had put a ne mobo in it so they figured that the mobo was OK and went from there.
    After testing everything, it turned out to be the 933 processor. They ordered a new one, put it in and they were able to install OSX.2. They then did the upgrades to 10.2.4 and did the firmware update for the Superdrive.

It's been running without a KP for 7 hours. Go figure.

----

So.. how much do you guys think a new CPU would cost? Just wondering.

Jason

That a processor would be bad, but not so bad as to prevent booting and such... seems like MOTO needs to improve their end of things.

PowerLogix Price List has some pretty nice gear in there.

- G.