Thread: My new Mac won't install Jag. HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I purchased Jag for my 466mhg G4 and installed it just fine. It would crash over and over, prompting me to restart though. I then realized that my G4 had a SCSI card in it I didn't use. So, once I took it out, it installed fine.

So, since then, I've sold that machine and purchased a used 933 QS. It came with an airport card, and to my knowledge, no SCSI card or weird vid card (GeForce MX 64mb). Everything factory including 512mb of Kingston ram (Apple). I installed a replacement HDD. A Western Digital WD800 w/ the 8mb cache. I partitioned the HDD into 2 partitions I then tried to install Jag and couldn't. I would get prompted to restart my machine during the install. A white box would pop up at any given point of the install telling me this, and in several different languages. So, I took the airport card out and tried again. Same thing.

So, I decided to go ahead and install OS9.2.2 on one partition and 10.1.2 on the other. Both installed great and the Mac purr's like a kitten. So then I try installing Jag again, this time reading the "Read Me" over again. This time I get the "restart" message instantly. Rebooted, this time I got while reading the read me. Rebooted, got half way thru the install, REBOOT.

I don't understand this. Everything on this machine is factory. The machine is practically brand new (even though it's used...the guy never used it).

I triple checked my CD's and they don't have a scratch on them. I even had my buddy bring his Jag CD's over just in case... and the same thing happens. It's simply NOT my CD's.

Does anyone have a single clue as to what I should do? The machine isn't covered by Apple Care unfortunately, and I don't live too close to an Apple Store.

I really want to get Jag installed and my new baby up and running the right way. Please help!

J

J,

?You are going to have to suspect everything. Your 933 is as built for Jag as Jag was built for the 933.

?RAM first. If you can run OS9 you can do an extended RAM test. YOu can use XLR8s Power Control and run it for hours. Run Power Frax in the background to put the cpu under load. Most of the reading will be faulty like what ram and what cpu speed since most of those weren't even invented when Power Control was written but the ram test works great.

?You can get those from the macgurus ftp site. Or if you want directly from my iDisk. XLR8 Utilities.sit

?Do an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
    Return
    >set-defaults
    Return
    >reset-all
    Return
    and your computer will resume startup.

?Recheck your hard drive jumper settings. I know, you just did. Check it again. If the WD is the only drive make sure it is Master no Slave. If the drive is set as slave remove the Master and reinstall the WD as Master no Slave and see if that solves it.

?There's got to be more ideas but that's my shot for now.

Rick

Oh, and make sure you set Energy Saver settings to 'Never' when runing Power Control or it'll puke when sleep comes.

R

Hi j -

Just to be clear, are you attempting to upgrade from 10.1.2 to 10.2 or a fresh install of 10.2? Do you have upgrade CDs or Full 10.2 CDs? When you partitioned, did you use Disc Ultity while booted to 10.2?

Ricks is right on regarding the Slave issue; your drive may have come set to "Cable Select"...it has to be Master for OS X install and booting.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 14 March 2003).]

Ok guys... I've switched out the ram w/ 5 different sticks... and it still won't work. I've discovered that what I'm seeing is a kernal panic. Mem is usually the problem. I didn't run the mem test, because I have so much of it lying around. Surely 5 different sticks of ram would be bad?

I've unhooked everything except the keyboard/mouse, vid card, and power. This still does not work.

My firmware version is 4.33f2... and as far as I can tell.. that is the most current one.

I just did the open firmware reset, and almost fainted because I got this weird Darwin text stuff that popped up all over my screen after reboot. I'm sorta new to Mac's... and can only assume that was "bad". I rebooted again and it worked thank god.

Also.. the ONLY drive I have right now is the WD800. There are no jumpers on it, because having none is the setting for a "single" drive.

Anyone??

Jason

?Just to make sure, the Open Firmware reset goes:

?Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. This puts you in a command line interface where at the end of any text you will get a ">" prompt. At that prompt you type in the reset-nvram, set-defaults and reset-all commands with returns like I printed below.

?Each time you give a command that is executable you will get an OK and another prompt >.

?That series will reset your motherboard. When you enter reset-all and press return the computer will resume normal multiuser restart.

?One more step. While shutdown press the PMU reset button next to the battery on the motherboard. Only press it once until after a restart has been accomplished. Wait 20 seconds after pressing it to reboot.

?Did you get a hardware test CD? That may be able to show what is happening.

Rick