Thread: Pbook G4 Ti400, DVD/CD-ROM Drive whirring but not reading

Hi guys,

My first post to this forum. Anyways, I've had my powerbook for over 2 years now, I got one of the first generation Ti Powerbooks(not a combo drive). Recently, due to a system error, I reinstalled OS 9.1 from the install CD's. Since then, I've been unable to read any DVD or Cd discs. Any inserted CD/DVD will spin, but not appear on finder. The only way to eject is manually via paperclip. Also, powering up using the "C" key to boot from the CD drive does not work, and it boots from the hard disk.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Arvin

oh... just a couple notes:

I did try resetting the PMU and the PRAM/NVRAM as Apple suggests on their support pages.
    No luck.

-Arvin

Hi Arvin,

I was wondering if you were having any similar problems to me- I also have an original Tibook with a fritzed DVDdrive. Unfortunately I bought an MCE combo drive upgrade (since I assumed the DVD drive was dead)- it too will take in discs, spin them up and read them but they will not mount. Apple system profiler shows some sort of cdrw drive present but can't get the model number or manufacturers name right (lots of @'s). I can eject discs from openfirmware so I assume that the drive is talking to the BIOS, but am at a loss to proceed from there...

Can you still "see" your drive with profiler, and does it respond to eject cdrom in OF?

Any comments would be most welcome!

Badger

how about downloading and running the 9.2.1/9.2.2 updaters to see if that helps?

have you tried resetting open firmware and/or PRAM?

Hi...

I just ran in to the same problem (or a similar one) with my Tibook 800...I've got a call in now for a replacement Combo drive. It started basically with the drive failing to eject a CD, I had to go into Open Firmware to get the drive to eject.. now all it does is pull disks in, spin them around for a bit, and then kick them out - same under OS X 10.2.4 and 9.2.2

Local shop diagnosed it as a dead drive (others have reported similar things based on a quick survey of the net) and so it's being replaced under warranty.

Chris.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions- and at least the warm fuzzy feeling that its not just me that has these weird problems!

I tried the OS9.2.2 updater and have zapped pram and nvram from Open Firmware still to no avail.

Incidentally I have no problem with ejecting (either without reason) or using the emergency eject button

The thing that bugs me is the various bus probes (DVD info, Techtool and ASP) get some information from the drive but it is slightly corrupted (eg ATAPI 0,0,0
    Vendor: LATSHITA (should be MATSHITA)
    Model: BD,RV CV-8121 (should be CD,RW CW-8121
    Firmware: @Z06 (should be AZ16)

The character replacements are out of register by one (M>L, a>@), C>B, and W>V) which seems odd?

Is it possible to have damaged the cable connector to give this kind of weirdness (I ask because this drive replacement was my first real upgrade experience)

Thanks in advance,

Badger

Badger:

That's almost my exact same problem:
    System Profiler gives:

Internal ATA 0: ID=0
    CD-ROM drive
    Driver version: Not available
    Mac OS partitions: 0
    Removable media: Yes
    Vendor: M@TRHHT@
    Revision number: H@18
    Product ID: DVD,RNM SR-8187
    Serial number: Not available

---------------

It looks like the character register's are more off than yours, however,
    @ --> a,
    N --> O
    S --> R?
    I --> H?
    I'm not sure what the values should be, but the above would give me:
    Vendor: MATSHITA
    Revision number: IA18
    Product ID: DVD,ROM ?S-8187

I can also eject using the emergency eject button. However, I have not used Open Firmware, and cannot use any type of keyboard controls to eject, since the disc isn't mounted. As noted, I did zap PRAM/NVRAM as
    advised by Apple.

It does feel good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. The history is: I installed/re-installed 9.1.1 several times trying to get an application(Matlab) to work. All installations were via CD. Shortly thereafter, I inserted a CD, and kapoot: just spinning and no mounting.
    That was about 5 months ago. Still haven't used a DVD since.

I'm going to try the OS9.2.2 updater, but from Badger's experience, I don't think it'll work.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

-Arvin

Arvin,

The interesting thing about the corrupted apple system profiler data is that if I swap back in my old DVD drive I get pretty much the same readout as you have (since this is the drive my Tibook 500 shipped with) and when i put the combo drive back in i get the info I posted earlier.

There must be some information exchange between the OS and the drive, but no action.

This makes me suspect there is some software/firmware that interprets the drive output in order to identify it as a supported drive, and that in our case this application is corrupted/buggy- any ideas guys?

Thanks for the discussion!

badger