Thread: Airport connect after wake from sleep

Has anyone else seen this problem? - under 10.2.4, if you are using Airport to connect, if you go to sleep, when you wake, you don't automatically refresh your connect to the airport network. You have to manually reselect the network you were connected to. I've seen this now on my TiBook 800 and my girlfriend's iMac - both under 10.2.4

I was thinking that it might be possible write an Applescript that senses when you wake up and then runs the connect script for you. This problem doesn't happen if we're wired via Ethernet.

Chris

When the host sleeps, the wireless card powers down (of course) and that causes a PPP session drop. When you come back up, power's reapplied and the antenna awakens, but between the ABS and the client Mac, no PPP negotiation has been called to spin it up again. Every PPP connection is its own entity, and there's nothing surviving across the sleep to "reactivate" -- it has to be invoked again from scratch.

What happens if you do an "Airport On" from the menu-bar?

When you're "wired via Ethernet", the sleeping interface is fully configured without a requirement for a PPP negotiation to establish a networking stack. All that's needed is for the "link status" on the interface to be "connected" (eg. there's a switch, hub, or other host on the other end of the wire) and it's live not Memorex. Even if DHCP is being used, that's above a couple of network layers that are active already post sleep.

The Airport PPP connection is more like a modem-based PPP connection, where the whole "make a physical connection and negotiate for a network connection" thing has to be carried out.

Is it possible to script it? Hmmm.... maybe, but I don't know AppleScript enough to ask it to *list* interfaces, let alone plumb 'em up. ;-)

Jazzbo

Hmm - I could have sworn that "wake from sleep" worked before via Airport - it certainly does w/ Ethernet.. All I have to do to get it to work again is click on the network I want to connect to - Airport is still "On", it's just not connected to anything. OHH _ wait a sec - in the Network Preferences / under Airport - you can check the "Wake from sleep" - and ensure that it connects to "best signal", "last network" or "specific network".. That's the ticket.. Mine was set to connect to a network that I wasn't nearby.. hence it stalled.

Ahhh

Chris.

Got it - if you set it to "Connect to the network with the strongest signal", then it will reconnect after sleep. It wakes up "off" in that there are no bars on the signal display but then it starts up.

Chris