Thread: Data Back-Up on CD's

I burn audio files successfully using Toast, but when I try to make back-up data CD's (of files/folders on my hard drive) using Toast, it doesn't work for me.

I should be able to drag and drop files and/or folders from my hard drive into Toast and burn a data CD, right? But when I put the CD back in my burner or CD-ROM to access the files/folders, neither drive recognizes the CD or contents. My CD-ROM spits the disc back out, my burner does nothing - no disc icon or message shows up (in either burner or CD-ROM).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tom

p.s. Mac OS 9.1, Toast Titanium, EZQuest Boa CD burner, Apple 24X CD-ROM, XLR8 G3/400 (7300)

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 11 March 2003).]

Are you verifying the discs after you burn 'em?

Are you moving the files to the "data" area - or the "CD/mp3" area to burn? - Randy

Yes, I do go thru the "verify" process after burning the CD.

When I open Toast, I first select the "data" icon and then I drag the folder (or files, whichever the case may be) into the area specified in the Toast window. I then burn, verify, and eject. Then, no matter which drive I put the newly burned CD in (either the CD burner or my Mac's CD-ROM) nothing happens.

Maybe I should try different burn speeds just to see what happens? Maybe burning slower will yield different (better) results?

Confused,

Tom

Update:

I just burned a CD at a slower speed (10x instead of 32x) and chose "MAC OS Extended" (instead of MAC OS CD) from the data pop-up box in Toast - and after I burned it and put it in CD-ROM, it was recognized! Yippee!

Now, is it the slower speed or the disc selection responsible for the success?

Tom

Make sure that the media you are using supports faster burn speeds, too.

My guess is the 'Mac OS estended' selection, although the speed "might" make a difference - I have heard that just because the media and burner 'say' they support faster burn speed, it doesn't mean that the result will be a consistently readible CD. It's kinda like processors; some of them overclock more successfully than others, maybe due to production quality control.

Update:

I've now burned several data CD's using Toast's "MAC OS EXTENDED CD" pop-up option, and various speeds from 10x thru 32x, and all of the CD's are working just fine. My CD-ROM instantly recognizes them.

Then I decided to try and make a bootable CD - a copy of my Sytem Folder - and I used instead the "MAC OS CD" pop-up option instead (per the Toast instructions) and it too worked just fine.

I wonder why the Toast manual says you can use either option "MAC OS CD" or "MAC OS EXTENDED CD" for making data CD's, yet only "MAC OS EXTENDED CD" works for me?

Just curious. At least I have figured out what will work for me now!

Tom

p.s. Oh, and yes, the media (TDK) I have been using faithfully (stick to what works, right?) for the last year or so are 32x rated. They have worked almost flawlessy buring Audio at 32x, with maybe one (or two) coaster(s) out of each 100. And now it appears they will be fine for Data at 32x, as well.

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 12 March 2003).]

not entirely sure if this is the same thing, but when i used to burn CD's on my TEAC burner, they wouldn't be recognised by the CDROM in the umax s900 - or rather, it would only recognise the first session of a multi-session disc. so i'd have to put it in the burner to read such discs...and this of course required the toast reader extension to work.

so, not the same problem i guess, but i thought i would throw it in and see if it gives you any ideas.

cheers, wez

Thomas,
    Thanks for starting this thread. Soon I will be learning how to burn CD's and DVD's (don't laugh macgurus....I am way behind in technology), and the "little" problems encountered and solved will be very helpful. I am saving this wisdom for reference.

When my new MDD arrived, Apple, out of their never ending generosity, enclosed one empty CD - for free!! Imagine that! So, after a few days of getting acquainted with my lovely machine, I inserted the blank, pressed a few "buttons", saw a few dialogues, and then darkness. The CD is empty and locked, and useless; 25 cents down the drain. If it wasn't so slippery, I would use it as my coffee mug coaster. But I did promise to myself to read the manual next time.

I got a feeling that the pointers in these posts are not part of CD burning instructions. So again, thanks guys.
    marrand

You know, this is one area I think Apple really has got to improve upon.
    In 9, I could always burn cdr/cdrw successfully, either with Disc Burner or Toast Lite, which thankfully, came bundled with an EZQ burner I bought some time back. You'd throw in a blank cd or cdrw and the thing would show up on the desktop- every time. And the sequence made sense. You'd get nice clear messages: ok, now prepare the blank cd for Toast, Retrospect, Disc Burner? What's you're pleasure?

Now in X- and actually 10.1x was more reliable- you stick the blank disc in and you don't know what you're going to get. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes not. Forget about Retrospect cdrw backups. Impossible. Once you burn it if you can, yah it shows up, but try sticking in an 'erased' cdrw...its a horror show I tell ya!
    Fortunately, Toast Lite has a X version and it works just about every time. Data, music, whatever. It sees the invisible disc, and 90% of the time has no trouble erasing it, burns it fast, spits it out, and there you have it.
    I don't even bother trying a Finder burn in Jag. Its totally confusing. And this is using the built-in burner. On the other hand, a burn from Disk Copy- though technically obtuse- actually works pretty well. But I'll tell ya, if I see another one of those 'you have an inserted a disk that Mac OSX cannot use..' messages....And I've spent hours experimenting with the settings, trying to make some sense of it.

It doesn't surprise me at all Marrand, that you fed your mach a disk and it promptly ate it for breakfast!

Wow. And I thought it was all fine.

Using an G4 imac with a super drive, as well as a EZQ firewire burner about a year old, and never a problem. All has been AOK with 10.2.3 and .4, from Toast 5.2 or Disc Burner.

CD mounts every time, drag the files on, push burn or drag to the trash. Either I am lucky, or something ain't right for you guys. Would like to help, but have not seen the problem.

In some older burners, media and burn speed was certaimly an issue, but thought I read somewhere that current burners have almost no problems with high speed burns, like the earlier drives could.

I wonder if the problems could be related to anything else...I always think of the post where a user was having problems with imovie crashing and acting strange, until he/she repaired permissions, and presto: no more crashes.

PS: "coasters" make nice Xmas tree ornaments - very sparkly!

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 15 March 2003).]

Thanks for the positive report Newbie.
    Its probably my setup in some way- though I just cannot fathom what it is I'm doing wrong or not doing..
    Like I said, cdr's, no problem Finder or Toast. It's the cdrw's. In my setup, if the cdrw has files on it, it shows up on the desktop fine. But to use it again, you have to erase it, right? So I erase it from Disk Utility. Now it shows up only in Disk Utility as '0,00 Bytes Sony', but no disk icon on desktop or in a Finder window. This is where I'm getting stumped. There doesn't seem to be a way to prepare the disc or for the Finder/Disc Burner to see it after that.
    From Mac Help:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To reuse a CD-RW disc, you must first erase it. To erase a disk, you use Disk Utility<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In Disk Copy, I can burn an existing .dmg just fine from the Disk Copy menu onto an erased cdrw...but that seems like the long way around the problem.

Update: I figured out the problem! Yes, Yes, Yes!!

In System Preferences/CDs & DVDs 'When you insert a blank cd: Open Finder.'
    I had 'do nothing' selected.

I take back my previous rant.

But there is a minor kicker to this story: I see now why I was stumped for so long.
    You have to quit Disk Utility after you erase the cdrw disc. Only then will it mount on the desktop as 'Untitled CD'. If you leave Disk Utility open, it won't mount on the desktop (as in my previous post). Once it's mounted, you can open Disk Utility back up, and the disc appears as '0,00 Bytes Sony, 610.00 MB Apple, Untitled CD'.

I also tested this with 'When you insert a blank cd: Ask what to do.', and 'open another application...' Sure enough, it works exactly as it should, but ONLY if Disk Utility is not running when you insert the erased disc.

Hooray! Problem solved!

[This message has been edited by Boots (edited 15 March 2003).]

This is a humorous thread.
    If you select "do nothing", the computer eats the empty CD for breaksfast.
    I never burned a CD or DVD, I am reading the wise macgurus on tips and instructions, and the advice I see? How to produce sparkling ornaments for Christmas!!
    Thanks Boots and newbie for putting smile on my face.....see?
    And now, to the serious task of burning CD's.....
    marrand