Thread: Data Back-Up on CD's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I burn audio files successfully using Toast, but when I try to make back-up data CD's (of files/folders on my hard drive) using Toast, it doesn't work for me.

I should be able to drag and drop files and/or folders from my hard drive into Toast and burn a data CD, right? But when I put the CD back in my burner or CD-ROM to access the files/folders, neither drive recognizes the CD or contents. My CD-ROM spits the disc back out, my burner does nothing - no disc icon or message shows up (in either burner or CD-ROM).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tom

p.s. Mac OS 9.1, Toast Titanium, EZQuest Boa CD burner, Apple 24X CD-ROM, XLR8 G3/400 (7300)

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 11 March 2003).]

Are you verifying the discs after you burn 'em?

Are you moving the files to the "data" area - or the "CD/mp3" area to burn? - Randy

Yes, I do go thru the "verify" process after burning the CD.

When I open Toast, I first select the "data" icon and then I drag the folder (or files, whichever the case may be) into the area specified in the Toast window. I then burn, verify, and eject. Then, no matter which drive I put the newly burned CD in (either the CD burner or my Mac's CD-ROM) nothing happens.

Maybe I should try different burn speeds just to see what happens? Maybe burning slower will yield different (better) results?

Confused,

Tom

Update:

I just burned a CD at a slower speed (10x instead of 32x) and chose "MAC OS Extended" (instead of MAC OS CD) from the data pop-up box in Toast - and after I burned it and put it in CD-ROM, it was recognized! Yippee!

Now, is it the slower speed or the disc selection responsible for the success?

Tom

Make sure that the media you are using supports faster burn speeds, too.