Thread: TiBook 800 won't mount CD's

Hi all

Funny situation here
    TiBook 800 / 10.2.4 / was working fine until this weekend. I couldn't get a CD out of my slot drive so I had to go into Open Firmware to eject the CD (i.e. Command-Option-O-F 'eject CD / mac-boot

Now I can't mount any CD's at all..
    Any ideas? I can put the CD's in, the computer thinks for a while, and then it spits it back out at me..

The drive shows up under Profiler,.. I did go back into Open Firmware and did a reset all but it still messes up..

Disks are fine in other computers.

Thanks

Chris

Doc,

I read about that on OSXFAQ (and there is a link to a tech note) and no "ill effects" from using, therefore, perhaps there is something physical to this? like dust bunnies or motor? My first thought was that somehow you saved that command to a file that OF loads (Bootx or tbxi).

General trouble - shoot the computer or else - rebuild the directory, repair boot blocks, Safe Boot, reinstall 10.2.4 combo, repair permissions, boot into OS 9 to be sure it works there...

Also, Apple KB 88215

Disk Utility can be used to eject as well as terminal (diskutil so its the same) w/o resorting to OF or booting. I assume that "command + period" had no effect (should eject CDs also). Was this one of those audio CDs (Celine's is reported to cause trouble) that refuse to eject? Wasn't there something about some CDs that can actually damage a SuperDrive or something? truth?

- G.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 10 March 2003).]

Just reinstalled the OS X 10.2.4 combo update - interestingly, it seems to have made my machine a bit more responsive...

Time to test the CD...

The motor seems fine since it pulls it in and I can hear it spinning and sort of running.. Hmmm

Chris

I'm thinking the drive unit is dead... it sucks it in, tries to spin it up.. I sort of get something and then it kicks it back out...

Ughhh

Chris

Darn it all - it would appear to be that the drive has died... ugh - and I've only had this machine since last July...

Time to call it in...

Shoot...

Chris

I checked some of the powerbook discussions and there was a nice thread about basically the same thing. I don't have any DVD's at home to test it out but I've tried Mac CDs/PC CDs/Audio CD's and nothing works, even when I go back into 9.2.2..

Drat - I wonder how much this is going to cost...

Chris

Here is a starting place...looks likes you can send it in if you want them to install: http://www.mcetech.com/sdpbg4.html

Curious what an Apple shop would charge for OEM...

I guess I may luck out in that I only took delivery of my TiBook 800 back in May or June of last year so I still have time left on my warranty for a warranty repair from Apple. Maybe they'll also fix my bubbling paint..

Chris

Warranty repair it is... I dropped in to my campus bookstore with Tibook under arm - they played with it a bit, confirmed that the drive is dead and ordered a replacement. They gave me back my TiBook and said that they'd call when it came in. Should only take an hour or whatever to swap it out - this way I don't lose the computer for a week.

Chris

That is good service. Did you ask about the paint job? k

Hi

Yeah - I asked about it - that would be a separate line item order - i.e. a replacement case. so I said that I would hold off on that for now..

It does look pretty darn ugly

Chris