Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Non-responsive G4

Burke does have a Yosemite right next to the problematic Yikes the last time I was there, so that may help. I'm sure a swapping of ram, processors, cards, and hd's can be done. Possibly the powersupply as well.

Sounds good, but be cautious with the power supplies, the part numbers are different on the G3 and G4. The outputs, 200w, are identical, but check the wiring to be sure. On the face of it, with both having the same mobo, the PSUs should be the same, but Apple do have a habit of making minor changes that they don't advertise.

Hello all!
    I'm Burke, surgeboy's friend as well as the sort of second in command for the php site. If tim is too lazy to do something, I usually do it. Anyways, I think there was a sort of conspiracy to get the previous owner of the G4 to switch to a PC by her little pet senior. He could have possibly sabatoged the thing in an effort to get her to "switch". When i found the g4, it was almost totally disasembled, except for the motherboard. All of the drives were removed, the processor, ram, etc. It was a real shame to see it like that, so i put everything back in. We all know the rest of the story by now.
    Another thing, I was wondering what OS everyone would recomend putting on the G3, and the g4 if we get it working. My three considerations have been OSX, ydl, and Gentoo. I have considered LFS (linux from scratch), but ditched that idea when I found out it took about 32 hours to install. That time outweiged the results in my eyes (the results being extreme stability and 30 second boot times).

--Burke

------------------
    Another unfarmiliar cieling
    --Shinji Ikari

Hey, Burke, try Baggy's suggestion. Swap the parts with the G3 to make sure everything is working. I'd help you out, but I haven't been to CSW in a while... bad stuff happened. Good luck.

I think I'll let Tim do it, I have sports, so i definitely can't. It soulds like it would work though.

------------------
    Another unfarmiliar cieling
    --Shinji Ikari

Indeed, Burke. BTW, unless you did it on purpose, don't you want to correct those two spelling errors in your signature? Remember, I before E, except after C... :-D

------------------
    "These dairymen are organized; they’re adamant, they’re militant…"
    - John Connally, Secretary of the Treasury, March 23, 1971

Waht is this about me doing something??? HA!!! Oh well. Hopefully a web club meeting is in store for next week, probably on Wednesday. BRING YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! Hopefully by May, we will be up with the SQL-based site structuring and we will be on a roll. We need to keep up enthusiasm in the club next year, so I have some ideas. I will send out a group mailing over one of the upcoming days regarding ideas and thoughts, as well as an update to our current web club status... mainly poor attendance. By the way, I hope to start teaching you guys, with the help of the people who already know it ( or just a little that is important - like me ), some PHP and some of that old school html for the n00bs. Hopefully the MAC will work, if not, there are two options: 1)Find the parts needed for a rebuild on EBAY, or 2)I might have to build us up a Win2k web server using old parts on one of those old Gateways with maybe a 2GB HD, 64MB RAM, 166MHz Pentium, with maybe two or three graphics cards in it - the more the merrier !!!

Still waiting for my Dell to crash, but I guess the quality components will make it last another four years... I don't see a PowerMac in my near future... My laptop suddenly died - apparently a hard drive failure... - while I was defragging it last week... Almost - and I mean almost, except the price knocked it down - got my dad to get a refurbished PowerBook G4 Titanium widescreen from Apple :eek.

Ok, back to the MAC. I am at school now and I do not know what to do. Maybe if i HIT IT REALLY HARD, it will fix itself, much like my stereo system... yeah it was weird. I beat the thing on the top of the cd tower part and it started working again... don't ask me what was wrong. And no, I am not goign to hit the G4, mainly because I know that hitting computers does absolutely nothing, and that if i destroyed it any more than it already was, Burke would kill me...

This forum seems to be done with the MAC troubleshooting. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else can help out we appreciate it greatly!!

Okay, Tim, this require a lot from you, but I'm sure you can do it. Just swap parts from the blue computer to the gray computer, and vice versa, to make sure what works, and what doesn't work. Sometimes its helpful to read these posts if you don't know what to do. BTW, why is it that wintel users write Mac as "MAC?" It's not an acronym. Money Access Card... that's an acronym. It's like Unix. Some fridiot decided "Unix? That sounds weird... It's probably an acronym, although I don't know what it means. I'm used to that, since I'm a fridiot. Lets spell it as UNIX!" (Dennis Ritchie uses Unix, so we all should spell it Unix, else our compilers will rebel for obvious reasons)

well we all know the greatness of Mac and want one so we emphasize their greatness with MAC... btw, web club meeting on Thursday the 11 of March.

Ok, fixed my profile. Geeze, Bendler doesn't teach us anything.
    Anyways, I'm gonna be at webclub on thurs, and hopefully we can get it working. If we can that's great. If not, we'll just have to suffer with the crappy webserver our school uses. Speaking of that, does anyone recomend any good and cheap dedicated cerver hosting companies, our's is a shared hosting service and it is horrible. We can't customize out PHP configuration at all, so we are stuck with the bare-bones PHP has to offer (NO GD!). Any suggestions at all are appreciated.
    About the whole MAC thing, there's also the annoying MAC address with any type of networking. I used to set up wireless networks for people, and when I tried to explain the whole MAC address masking thing with theit router, they said "But I have a PC?!" I wanted to smack them, but I couldn't cause they were my parent's friends.
    Thats it for now!

[This message has been edited by Kaoru (edited 11 March 2003).]