Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non-responsive G4

We have a nice Sawtooth G4 donated to our Webclub at school. We're trying to make it work right now, but it does not boot up. There is no start-up chime, no monitor activity. We're very worried, as it is a very nice machine. Any help?

Specs:
    400 Mhz G4 processor
    ATI Rage 128 w/16 megs vram
    Adaptec Ultra SCSI Card
    16/24 CD burner, Sony
    100 meg Zip drive
    10 gig hd
    No OS on hd

We have tried to boot off of OS X and Yellow Dog, without success.

How about a new battery to start with? Radio Shack or your Ole Dad has them. k

Ah yes, the good 'ol lithium half-size battery. Actually, I don't think we have any left down here in the basement. However, there are plenty at school. I doubt it would be the problem, but it could be. Without pram... well, I don't know what would happen without pram, to be honest. But it sounds important, and I know it affects the clock, monitor settings, and other important stuff. That may also explain why our attempts at using the cuda reset didn't appear to affect anything. That brings up another question: To reset the cuda, both buttons are pushed at once, for five seconds, correct? What do both normally do?

Anything happen at all? Do you hear the HD spin up, fans come on, etc.?

See here http://www.macgurus.com/products/mot...mbppcg4agp.php and there is no Cuda Reset button. There is a PMU button next to the battery. I know there are some cautions about that button but don't know what they are. Someone else, please weigh-in on that PMU button and what to do with it, if anything.

Is there at least one stick of RAM in it? And if only one stick, is it in J19? And like newbie asks, any activity at all when you try to startup? k

About the PMU, Apple says don't press it for more than 1 second and don't press it again without powering up the machine. You can press it again after you power it up and back down again. But if the machine does not power up, do NOT press it again. It will put the PMU into an "unsettled" state.

When you plug in the power do you get any arcing? (indicative of a problem with the PSU)

Does anything happen when you try to power up the machine? (fans, drives, leds)

Have you checked to be sure the ribbon cable from the front panel to the logic board is seated firmly in the socket on the logic board? It's easy to work out and the machine is a rock if it isn't plugged in properly.

Also check that all the cards, cables and cpu are still seated properly. I knocked over my G3 one time and it wouldn't boot at all until I reseated the SCSI card.

It's possible someone has been pushing the PMU button and crashed the PMU. I don't know how to get that restarted except by taking the battery out and leaving it out overnight (this supposedly works). Reinsert the battery the next day and press the PMU button ONCE for about half a second. I'm told this works although I've never tried it. Sounds like it might work, though.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Thank you Bruce. k

Okay, okay.... As the otaku say, jisasu. It may not be a Sawtooth after all, but that's what I was told. It has that darker-than-bondi graphite-grey-ish color, with clear acrylic handles. A google search has told me that both the sawtooth and Yikes look the same on the exterior. It appears to be a Yikes machine, my bad, I'm an idiot for trusting Burke, aka Mr.Uhh, it starts with an 's.' Looking at the Yikes motherboard layout, I can clearly see the two little buttons to the top right of battery. If this changes anything, please tell me. Also, it made a peculiar beep, not the regular, ever divine, ethereal, reverberating bong. The start-up bong, not that other bong.

A long shot, but Yikes can sometimes with certain memory have a problem booting with self-powered USB devices connected. Go here http://www.macgurus.com/products/mot...mbppcg4pci.php and look under the paragraph titled Interesting Anomalies. BTW, you have checked all cards fully seated including RAM? k

Yeah, I read that part, but ignored it because there wasn't anything plugged in. I'll check to see if everything's seated tomorrow, when I get back at school. Also, I'm working on getting all the webclub addresses into my computer so the other guys can participate here as well.

Well, in further tests, we have concluded that it is DEAD! It is believed that the board is fried. (Probably EVIL Matt W. tryign to "switch" our Director of Development to that crappy OS called Windows...) So, if anyone has any ideas how we can possibly save most of it, maybe a new board or something...any suggestions?
    Currently we are stuck with a B&W G3 Power Mac with Gentoo Linux on it. With no GUI... and it won't connect to the internet... OSX ran too slow so I told my person-in-charge of our webclub servers A.K.A. Burke to see if he could get linux on it. So he formatted the drive, taking off OSX, which was compiled on his dual 1GHz G4, so that may have contributed greatly to the slowness of it on the G3.
    Hopefully SOMETHING will work right with our computers. We have had no luck with the ones we have at school or the Macs which we have at school - all one of them..

Thanks for any help you can give, and what you have already given,
    Tim S.
    Head of The Charter School of Wilmington Webclub - html/php site.

Some random jibberish:
    I have Windows...WEEEEEEE(crash - surprising rare , but that is due to me having XP I guess, still hate Microsoft's guts...)and Red Hat Linux 8<[reat but no sound - I don't have the driver compiled yet)

Does your G4 still make that single beep? is the pwr light lit up? I wouldn't give up yet!

The G4 makes no beep at all. All connections have been double checked and still no luck. I dunno...

sounds like a dead pwr supply to me. someone may have swiched the voltage switch on it. hence a blown pwr supply. any indications the achine pwrs at all??

yes it does power up, all the ide drives start up, spin , lights flash etc., board has little lights going on(possibly due to battery?), but that is all. poor mac

on reading all the posts I can't see whether you have done a PRAM/VRAM reset? hold down command (apple) + option(alt) + P +R until the lights go on and off four times. if that fails hold down command + option + O + F to get into the open firmware screen. if ytou get there post back. or look around the forums for the reset procedures. if that fails try plgging the pci graphics card from another machine into an empty pci slot and boot the monitor off that with or without the AGP card installed.

BTW board lights and HD's spinning up are all good signs.

Can't add much to this debate as it is a little old now, except that OSX is universal so doesn't matter which mac it is installed on, it is the same in all.
    If it powers up, the next thing it is going to seek out is drive and memory.
    Try replacing both.

It's got to be the firmware... I mean, I think we've already swapped out the drive and memory. I believe we're getting enough power to the buses. I hope it's a power supply error, however. Motherboards aren't sold by Apple.

Have you got any other G4s that you can swap bits out of, such as PSUs? At least you can eliminate the final bits of the puzzle.
    If it was firmware you should have been able to open the firmware and reset it to factory defaults, but presumably you haven' been able to do that, so I would conclude that it is something a bit further up the line.
    It could be a mobo fault, in which case the ebay for a replacement is more than likely going to be your best bet.
    This is going to be every difficult to judge without another mac to swap bits out of or into. Have you tried taking out the graphics card and replacing that?