Thread: 9500/200 won't boot

I have a 9500/200 upgraded to an XLR8 G4. Worked fine for months. Started having "address errors" in Excel and freezing. So I rebuilt the desktop and reset PRAM. Now it can't find the HD. I tried booting from the CD by starting with the "C" key but it doesn't find the CD either. Keep getting the no disk icon. Apple won't support this machine at all now. Please help.

Hey Jethro -

would not hurt to include some more info, like the OS you are running, is it just the stock SCSI drive or something else, any other hardware info you could add...

So when you try to boot to a CD - are you sure it is a bootable CD with a compatible OS? - it never finds the CD? If you have no bootable interanal drive (i.e. the drive or the OS is damaged..) it should find the bootable CD *even if* you do not fold down the "C" key, although it may take a few minutes.

Have you checked for/reseated loose SCSI cables? When you restart, it does make the normal startup sound, right?

The address errors might indicate a failing HD or perhaps directory problems, but you should still be able to boot to CD. Do you have DiscWarrrior?

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 07 March 2003).]

Another possibility is you have some bad RAM that is corrupting your drive. G4's put a lot of stress on the RAM in those machines.

Another way to boot from a drive is to hold down command+option+shift+delete+the SCSI ID # of the drive you want to boot from. If it's the stock CD drive it should be ID#3. The stock HDD should be ID#0.

The reason why your Mac doesn't find any booting devices is because the Virtual Firmware info stored in the PRAM was lost. To recover your system use the XLR8's Emergency Disk. You can find it in their support page, it's a little file that makes a bootable mac floppy. You'll have to use another Mac to download and create it. Once you have the floppy, just put it in the drive and power up. It'll display something like "Virtual Firmware was restored" or something like that. Then restart and it should be back to normal.

[This message has been edited by JuanX (edited 08 March 2003).]