Thread: G3 minitower no video

I have a G3 minitower that lost its video. I get startup tone, the hard drive spins, and the led lights up, put the monitor light flickers and then goes orange. I have checked the ram, reset the computer, and checked all cables. Any ideas? The monitor works on my 7600, so I know that the monitor is working.
    Thanks

Is it running off the built-in video or off a video card?
    What OS?
    Have you zapped PRAM? had a system freeze or crash?
    What make of monitor, size, etc?
    Is the 7600 using vram or a video card also...
    I would start with a new battery just in case. Good place to start.
    Have you tried booting from a CD to see if it works so we know it is hardware.

Have you looked through Ted Laundau's "Sad Macs, 4th Edition?"

It is running off the built-in video and I am using 0S 9.1. I do remember the system freezing just before problem and when I restarted, the monitor would not start. I am using an 1710 monitor. I did try to zap the PRAM. The 7600 is using the vram and the onboard video. Replacing the battery was one of the first things I tried. I have been unable to boot from cd. I hear the cd spin, but the monitor will not kick on. It is set as a slave. Would it help to disconnect the hard drive and make the cd the master? Does a mac need a functioning startup disk to get the monitor to start or would I just get a "?" on the screen? Thanks for reminding me about "Sad Macs" I know I have it some where.

Sometimes it is hard to zap PRAM, and can take a number of cycles, like 4-5, even though 2 is suppose to be enough.

there is also a command sequence of command option A-V that is given halfway through startup (even if you can't see it but can hear the drive and system loading) that clears nvram in colorsync apple monitors. Then again, I got fed up iwth ColorSync series

Resetting open firmware is another option - assuming it shows up on the monitor which is a "catch-22" in this case.

command + option + O + F
    followed by "set-defaults" <return>
    and then "reset-all" <return>

which should result in the system rebooting.

Cuda reset is another.
    Disk Warrior CD would be nice to have on hand.

PRAM is three chimes from a cold start, not a restart. Four chimes would do an NVRAM flush.
    Try putting in a graphics card, borrow one if you can, and see if that clears up the problem. If it does, you could have a dead VRAM stick. You could also swap the two sticks to the other two vacant slots, or if you have all four filled try taking two out and different combinations with just two on board.

The G3 has one 144-pin SO-DIMM. I did not think of that being the problem. Thanks for mentioned it. I do have a video card in another mac that I could try tonight.

Steve,
    Sorry, read the post too quickly - I thought that the problem was with your 7600! :-0
    Same applies though, you have 2mb on board and a possible 4mb in the slot. Try taking out the 4mb, and if that doesn't change things then give the graphics card a try.

Thanks for all the help. I took out the video ram and re zapped the PRAM and it works! Next step would be to put the ram back and see if the problem returns. Thanks, again!