Thread: Unable to write to new DVD-RAM "LOCKED" discs w/LF-D311

Just installed a Panasonic LF-D311 (Matshita LF-D310) into my PM9600/G4/800 connected to a Sonnet Tempo Trio's ATA bus using OS9.1.

The computer and Toast both recognize the drive and will read all formats, but when attempting to write to the drive, the finder says it's LOCKED and can't write. Toast says it's an unsupported drive but will do a simulated DVD-R burn (didn't want to waste a disc but may do so soon) so it does recognize the drive ( Toast has supported this drive since v. 5.01...I'm running v. 5.1.4).

The finder offers all the options to initialize the drive in 4 different formats but says it's a LOCKED disc and can't perform the function.

The drive has firmware A123 and is recognized by Adaptec SCSI Probe. However, when I try to use Apple System Profiler it freezes the computer every time......which is interesting in itself.....maybe I have to go back to an earlier firmware, like A122? But, the drive works fine in read mode and may be able to burn a DVD-R since it does okay in simulation mode.

Any help with unlocking the disc would be appreciated. I've read that people have had much better luck in OSX with this drive and I have thought of trying to unlock it in that OS, but my OSX experiment is dead in the water for the time being and I don't have the time to try to get it up and running again.

Nothing sticks out for me except are you sure you are using DVD-R General media and not DVD+R or something other than General? k

My search finally led me to a gut who had the same problem and a solution. As it turns out the drive sees the ATA card as a SCSI device which doesn't work with the DVD-RAM aspect of the drivers or firmware. This can be a problem for devices designed to run on internal ATA buses (which are not seen as SCSI devices).

Putting the drive in an external Firewire case completely solved the problem. It now works perfectly in both OS9 and X. I can drag and drop to the desktop just using the finder; no need for Toast or any other burning utility. Plus, it works in this manner with both DVD-RAM and DVD-R! The exception that the DVD-RAM disc is erasable and acts just like a hard drive with 9.4G of memory. The DVD-R is not erasable but records in "sessions" so you can just keep using it until it fills up all 4.7G. All drag and drop off the desktop...cool. I haven't tried burning a DVD movie from DVD Studio Pro yet though and hoping I can make home DVD movies with it.

Great drive!

Thanks for the response.

Marshall