Thread: Dead 9500 mac

I have a 9500/120 Power Mac that is completely dead. Previously I had removed the cover to see how difficult it would be to replace the video card. However, I have not removed it as yet. I thought I would leave the cover off while I waited for the video card to be shipped. I also blew out some dust that had accumulated inside the machine, but did not touch any parts. I started the computer and it booted up however, after about 5 seconds it shut down and will not power up again. I have checked the power cord, and the outlet. both are working. I have reset the cuda (or I assume it is the cuda button [a red button just above the PCI slots]) nothing. Can anybody offer any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks,
    Garry

Dust, or something, cat hair, spider's web, got something shorted?

I'd take some compressed air and give it a good shot. Replace the battery. Unplug it over night and do a long 4-5 cycle PRAM reset while at it.

Swapping video cards shouldn't be hard - changing memory maybe. www.XLR8yourmac.com has a page on upgrading cpu, memory, disk drive in the 9500 includes photos.

Gregory,

Thanks for the advice. I pushed on the processor card and the computer booted up without any problems. However, once again, today is is completely dead. The processor is a Newertech G3 upgrade card, but I have not had any problems since it was installed about 5 or 6 years ago. You think the battery could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Garry

Cleaning the contacts might help. Can you test the power supply and voltage to make sure those are okay? Sleeping dragons are best left... sleeping. Seems like opening it up woke up some gremlins

Yeah, I would not have opened the case if I had not been having graphic problems. I suspected the video card was bad. It is best to let sleeping dogs lie. I have a multimeter but where do I place the leads?

Garry

you were having graphics glitches before? maybe that leads back to the name of the gremlin you're dealing with.

Ages ago we use to take a pencil eraser to clean contacts on memory that would get corroded. I'm not electrical or mechanically inclined, but some folks are - maybe there are specs somewhere on what to expect.

how many years since the battery was replaced? always a good basic step one.

This to me sounds like a dead PRAM battery for sure! you say you had graphic card probs. I'm gueeing the res. and colours would reset after you shutdown?! to get booted again take out the processor card and press the cuda reset (for 10 secs or so. then put the card back in and press and hold for 30 secs. or around there. your machine should now boot normally. my advice is. either don't shutdown or rather don't unplug the machine. i.e no switch off at mains. this keeps a low charge in the battery (which is dead pretty much) but keeps system settings like video and sys clock. if you want go to radio shack and get a new batt.

I have replaced the battery. No change. Still dead. How do I tell if logic board is receiving power. I have a multimeter but where do I test on the wiring?

Thanks,
    Garry

I didn't get a chance to read it all but this is a good starting place. If all else fails I have a 9600 I'm no longer using that I'd sell at a reasonable price. If I come across anything else on the 9500 I'll let you know, good luck. http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    This page will give you some basic color codeing.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/A...8600_9600.html

[This message has been edited by mac-in-tosh (edited 27 February 2003).]