Thread: slow mouse

The mouse on this a power tower 225 will be zipping along just fine when it suddenly shifts gears to slow.
    The control panel mouse window has not been touched and remains on "fast". Restarting fixes the
    problem for a while. Tech Tool checks everything out ok.
    Any clues would be appreciated.

My first thought - Assuming you are using the standard older mouse. Have you cleaned the mouse - mouse ball, the 3 contacts in the mouse all really good. Alcohol works well but is sorta drying to the ball. Connections are all good and tight?

Just did it to my 7500 G3 400MHz lastnight it made UT respond much better - its been a while since I cleaned it.

What OS are you using? Any add-ons like PCI cards? Which mouse?

Randy

I'm using OS9.1 and the PowerComputing mouse, cleaning the mouse does not seem to help.
    There is a firewire/usb combo card, 2 video cards and an ATA100 running an ide drive.
    Thanks.

Another thought is a corrupted mouse pref file. - Trash, nuke or throw away your "mouse preferences" file, in the system folder - then restart or shutdown and start. You will have to reset your mouse settings but it can't hurt anything.

HD -> System folder -> Preferences folder -> Mouse Preferences file

Randy

because it is an older mouse, and the problem sounds like what happens if you unplug and then replug in an adb mouse...ie: it runs real slow until restart...I would suggest that the mouse cable is the problem, and you are losing power to it somehow.

I cleaned the original mouse and a spare apple mouse I have with alcohol.
    Both responded equally slow. Trashing the mouse prefs appears to have done it.
    It has been acting fine for one day.
    Thanks to you both for your help.