Thread: Toasted Maxtor?

......So I pulled the 7200rpm 40 GB 2mb buffer ata drive from the EZQ firewire case and interestingly, no manufacturer logo or name was on the drive. Did a google on the drive serial number and discovered it to be a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 series- supposedly with a 3 year warranty.
    I put it in my B&W after setting the jumpers appropriately, booted up the rig just fine, and...
    ...nada. No volume- just the other system drive volume. No device in ASP on the bus or in any utility. I could not tell if the drive spun up or not.
    I don't think I've missed a step here?
    Is this confirmation the Maxtor is DOA?

It's standard ATA so if you can get it to show in Drive Setup, DFA, Disk Warrior... and OS X Disk Utility seems to format drives that others won't, too.

Is it on a PCI IDE card now? You're B&W supports slave, right?

I'd say head to Maxtor and enter the serial number of the drive and request RMA. Me, I'd do that AND go buy a replacement drive. I suspect it may be weeks before your get a ref'd replacement drive, and I like choosing my own brand/model.

Wouldn't show up in any of those- 'cepting Disk Utility, which I did not try what with no X on the Yose...(I suppose I could boot from a X installer cd) I might try FWB HDT but I'm doubtful at this point.

Rev 2 so yes, affirm on the slavery.

Tried Disk Utility from the Jag installer cd- boy, kinda looked and acted kinda nice on the old 1705 monitor and the Yose, mm-

Anyway, nothing. No device, no volume. Same for FWB Configure...

Got the RMA from EZQuest. Turns out they supposedly only have two techs.
    Sent the whole shebang back and waiting to hear...
    Hopefully they won't kill my warranty just for pulling the drive to test it..

Ya know, after I sent it off, pretty secure in my thinking that the drive is dead, I realized there must be a simple way to erase the directory and files completely from the outside...like a magnet? What's a good sure way to wipe out a disk's contents without physically damaging the components?

Well, I'm pleased to say EZQ fixed the unit. Turned out the PS went, then toasted the drive. So basically, I got a brand new unit- still not sure what brand, model of drive they put in. ASP doesn't provide the info, so I'll have to open 'er up and take a look. Whole thing cost me $25 for shipping...
    Way to go EZQ!

A note on MacFixit today notes that Maxtor won't honor warranty if you put one of their drives in a FireWire case and won't offer an RMA. So, while lucky its being taken care of by EZQ, maybe Maxtor drives are a poor choice for FW?

That is interesting Gregory. When I was at Macworld SF, I asked both Initio (they make FW bridgeboards) and Granite several FW questions. Both mentioned Maxtor firmware, with earlier model drives tho, as having problems with FW. Must still apply. I've been working my Granite FW case with IBM 180GXP 60GB drive very hard. No problems yet. k