Thread: 8500/XLR8 Carrier random booting issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks in advance for all the help that everyone here have already given me in my lurking, and for the hope of more help on this.

Pardon my lack of mac knowledge, but I am just getting my feet wet. Heres my machine

PPC 8500/150 MHz
    512 MB RAM (interleaved, new from OWC 4x128)
    PCI USB 1.1 card
    19" PC monitor w/ mac adaptor

rest is stock 8500

That all worked just fine. Then I upgraded w/ an XLR8 CarrierZIF and an Apple 233MHz ZIF

Followed instructions, and away I went on my merry way. I knew that the 233 was just temporary until I could save the cash to get a faster G3/G4 ZIF. I did. I found an Apple G3/450 ZIF for a nice price and picked it up.

Here is where things went bad. I installed the ZIF, zapped the CUDA, checked and double checked the switches (9x50=450) and tried to boot. No chime and no monitor signal. Dropped the Carrier down to 400MHz and was able to get a chime and a partial load. Locked up at the XLR8 Extensions. I shift rebooted and disabled all extensions except the XLR8 one, but it still locked up. Put in the 233, worked fine.

To make a long story short, I have zapped PRAM and cuda many many times. Tried setting the Carrier to a dozen or so different speeds, seating and reseating the carrier... Occasionally I'll get a "Bus Error" while booting, although a CUDA reset usually fixes that. But now, I don't get a signal to the monitor from either ZIF at any settings that I have tried.

Tomorrow I will de-interleave the RAM but it is too late for me to wrestle w/ that case tonight.

Any other ideas that anyone may have?

Thanks again,
    grazer

Sorry about the length of this post...

I upgraded an 8500 with an xlr8 CarrierZif card and had the same problem. The solution is simple but I don't really know enough to explain the whys and wherefores in a technical way. It boils down to: Stop zapping the pram

Something xlr8 needs is stored in the pram and when you zap it, it is gone, then you have to go back to the previous processor to re-install the xlr8 stuff over again. It seems you might have to go back to the original processor without the xlr8 CarrierZif card, install the xlr8 CD again, put in the CarrierZif with the new Zif, and restart *without* zapping the pram. I bet this works.

The result is that you can never zap your pram again on this machine without going through this again. I've gone for quite some time without zapping the pram without any problems. I think pram zapping is probably overrated.

I went through a LOT of frustration finding the answer and the people here were very helpful. Only one had the solution, though. Someone who had gone through the same problem.

I hope this solves yours. I'd bet money that it will.

Jim

That should fix it. I remember when James did his his - I think the CUDA reset also zappes the XLR8 data.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 10 January 2003).]

On the XLR8 install disk is a utility to make an emergency boot floppy. It says it's for G4's but it's saved my ass a couple times with my G3. Just pop it in when you boot up and it restores the virtual firmware into PRAM then ejects and the Mac will reboot.

Thanks for ll of the advice, and sorry for the delay, I was away for the weekend.

Tonight, I reseated the RAM, VRAM and put in the original processor. I uninstalled the XLR8 software. Rebooted, reinstalled the XLR8 software, shutdown, held CUDA for 5 seconds. I then put in the carrier w/ the 450 ZIF, pressed power, and got no screen, and no chime. Put on the G3 233 and it started up just fine.

So, I took this working opportunity to make the XLR8 emergency boot disk and booted from it. That did it's thing, ejected the disk and then rebooted. The 233 came up fine once again. Put in the 450, no go.

I am thinking that it is a bad processor? But I don't want to throw in the towel yet. Since I bought this used, I don't have OS cds, so I will order those when I get paid this week, probably the OSX/9.1 package just cause I know that I want to play with X eventually.

Any other ideas that anyone can think of?

Holding down the cuda IS zapping your pram. DO NOT do this. It UN-did everything that you did and created your very same problem.

I don't know about the floppy boot disk. I didn't ever make one because the documentation I read on it didn't tell me it would work with my G3 processor. I don't want to disagree with M.Brane but I still recommend that you follow my suggestion and I still think it will work.

Do NOT zap your PRAM (OR reset the CUDA, it is the same thing) the next time you install your xlr8 software.

Hope it works out for you.

Jim