Thread: Chirping G4

My G4 has an occasional chirping sound. I went through the steps to troubleshoot in this AppleCare Knowledge Base document. I was able to stop the chirp by removing my MacGuru's bought IBM 120GB ATA drive.

Do I have a bad drive?

What's the next step?

Jesse
    Power Mac G4/867Mhz Quicksilver, 1.5GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.1.5

Sorry about the bad link. This is the document:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95044

When I searched Knowledge Base on "drive setup" and "low level" it outlined how to run a Test for bad blocks. Basically Test is not as thorough as low level's "zero all" which will read-write to every sector and block and remap bad blocks. I've heard that just running Disk Warrior has helped a couple times - always Step #2 (step 1 is BACKUP).

If there isn't a hardware or firmware problem (Sonnet Tempo with buggy firmware or something), and the cables and power adapter are not an issue (sometimes you won't know unless you have a known good ATA cable to try), and Disk Warrior doesn't resolve the problem, then initialize or initialize with option to zero all data.

now, some drives do a 'self-test' (IBM's Ultrastar SCSI models) every nn minutes or the drive parks the head. There are even sound bites at IBM and other places of what is normal and what is not - someone posted theirs to .Mac homepage for others to listen to. Some models more so than others. If you have a 120GXP, I'd be surprised. The 75GXP (30/45/75GB) had very high failure rate. 60GXP was better. I think the 120GXP (40/60/80/120) are soliid.

when I did have a drive failure and it wouldn't initialize and kept failing, I contacted IBM, asked for RMA via web, that was a Thursday, and Monday 10 AM there was a new drive at my door and a box to send back the old drive. Very good service.

StorageReview has news on the latest WD 8MB Special Edition models which is very popular. I think the IBM 180GXP will also be a winner but it isn't shipping yet. Same for Seagate ATA V Barracuda - those are my favorite IDE drive choices. With IDE, I always keep a spare on hand and try to pop it in and put a current backup on it every couple weeks besides my normal backup(s).

Gregory

Greg,

I ran DiskWarrior twice (on both master and slave) and I still get a chirp. I will backup this weekend and run tests/initialize as you suggest. The drive I have is the only IBM 120GB ATA MacGuru sold--don't know the model number right now (at work).

Thanks,
    Jesse

You know, my IBM 120Gb drive does the same thing! must be the drive. it works fine tho

My QS867 chirped when I changed the memory in it (went from 3 128Mb to 3 512Mb DIMMs). Don't know why but the first time I started it up after the memory swap it chirped a couple of times than came right up. I hasn't chirped since then. Weird.