Thread: LVD troubles.......

Well......... hells bells guys.........

As little as my working knowledge is, I think I've forgotten whatever I DID know.

I've been having some flakiness lately, so I decided to mirror my X15 to another 18GB narrow Cuda, and start from scratch.

Here's the machine: PTP w/xlr8 G3 400/1MB L2, 256 MB RAM, OS 9.1.........
    MOBO buss has an 18GB Cuda and a 4.2GB Medalist, Yamaha 8x8x24x CD-RW, Plextor 40x terminated on the end of the chain.
    These 2 narrow drives, as well as the below 2 LVD's are all bootable drives.

PCI layout:
    SLOT 1: Miles2 in piped to LVD drives, an 18GB X15 (1st generation, 4MB buffer) Cheetah, and a 10k 9GB Cheetah.
    SLOT 2: Blank
    SLOT 3: FireWire card, from Guru's "steals and deals about 20 months ago/no devices
    SLOT4: xlr8 dual USB card/no devices
    SLOT 5: Twin Turbo video card
    SLOT 6: Blank

First Problem: I couldn't boot from the 9GB Cheetah on the Miles2. I had mirrored the 18GB x15, so I decided to wipe it (18GB) clean, and start fresh.

Initialized from Drive Setup 2.0.3, and replaced SoftRAID 2.2.2 driver with apple driver, and then loaded all the goodies, OS 9.1, xlr8 CPU stuff, Twin Turbo,....... when I went to boot, now the 18GB x15 freezes in the same place as the 9GB drive (which still has the SoftRAID driver). The reason I didn't use SoftRAID was that it locked up when scanning the SCSI buss. I seem to remember there was a reason for this, but unfortunately, I didn't keep any copies of the stellar Guru's pages which were pulled down.

QUESTION: Is the Miles 2 compatable with Apple Drive SU 2.0.3?

Of course, when the 9GB LVD locked up, I had to pull the power off it just to get the machine back. For some reason, my machine won't see the "C" command on boot, and go to the CD for startup.

The symptom is the same with either LVD drive: Startup...... Mac background and OS Splash, xlr8 software loads........blanks to the secondary phase........ and right before extensions load....... it locks up. If I try to load "extensions disabled", it displays the EX DISABLED message and then is frozen.

Thank GOD I have the mirrored narrow Drive and the 4.2GB drive.

Kaye, Rick......... anyone?

If either of you feels so compelled, I would just love it if you'd e-mail me your phone number

Any help is sure appreciated

Warm regards,

8's

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 05 January 2003).]

kaye

Batsignal invoked to kaye!

ricks

Batsignal invoked to ricks!

Sorry C8, got company so this will have to be short. Have you reseated the Miles2 in its slot? Have you checked all of the cable connections fully plugged in, including the terminator? And drive power plugs fully seated?

The 10k 9GB Cheetah I suspect has firmware version 0002 which will stall/freeze the SoftRAID scanning the SCSI bus UNLESS you use Miles2 firmware 1.06b. If you have not recently updated Miles2 firmware, then I suspect the Miles2 firmware is corrupted. Do a flash with the drives disconnected. Since you are running OS9.1, stick with 1.06b. It was designed to allow the SCSI scan to complete with Seagate 10k drives with firmware 0002.

I'll email phone later but do a Cuda Reset for 30 seconds or more before you next startup. Been awhile since I have needed to startup with a CD in my PTP, but many CD-ROM drives in the PTP won't start from the C key. I have one that will and two that won't. Try the other method. I think it is command-option-shift-delete, but my memory is failing. k

Hi Kaye,

Thanks for your response man. I've done all of the above, except hit the Cuda reset.

It's kinda weird....... I know when I set the Miles2 up I used the correct firmware, so I was a bit surprised when SofRAID 2.2.2 locked up. I'll make sure I have version 1.06 and flash the card again as prescribed......

I'll keep you posted. I backed up my main drive just in time!!

8's

Hey Dave,

?I am about and around. Big day, didn't even look at the computer from this mornin till this evening. My wife was cracking the whip, building a foundation and landing for a barn and darned if she didn't make me buy $5000 worth of vinyl fencing. Talk about work! The easy part is paying for the plastic.

?Then the 49er game, whoa!!!!!! I needed an ekg.

?Then this evening was my dads 80th. Dinner in a very English sports bar. My kid loved the place but wore out his Aunt, Granddad and Dad chasing him around the joint. He's 2 1/2 and passed his Dad on the maturity scale, specially at a sports bar.

?Anyhow, that's why I hadn't been around today. Happy to help if I can, not sure how to go about it, I've not played with the Miles2 much. Kaye and Gregory are way in front of the curve there. And Kaye has the essential PTP experience also.
    ?I'll email a phone, no problem. If I can help I will be available.

Rick

Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, Conflict Catcher 9...?

Damaged boot blocks, corrupt system preferences, system file needs minor repair... ?

Pages of Doom!
    SCSI Basics

I have some older email from Mark on SoftRAID I could look into.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses!

I am, perilously, using my narrow mirror volume currently because I am swamped with work.

I will implement whatever suggestions I haven't tried as soon as I get freed up.

What I NEED to do is get another machine running, and wire it all to a router.

Thanks again, and I will report my progress as it unfolds.

You guys rock..........!

8's