Thread: Unmountable Hard Drive

Here's my situation. My hard drive is suddenly unmountable, so I tried booting from my DiskWarrior CD. Message comes up saying it won't boot from this version of DW. So I boot it up off of my OS9 CD. BUT, then it won't allow me to remove the OS CD to put in the DW CD. So I run Disk First Aid. It finds errors that it can't repair. So I thought I would have to bite the bullet, reinitialize, and lose some data (not much, no work, just personal stuff), and reinstall all my software.

OR, can I take an old hard drive I have that actually used to reside in this computer, plug it back in, boot up from that drive and run DW from the CD drive?

OR, is there something else I haven't thought of? Like a trick to booting from the CD and still being able to remove it to put in another CD?

This is all assuming that DiskWarrior will even work. I'm pretty confident that it will if I can only get it in there.

Jim

James,

?Don't initialize and lose the data and then never know what caused the problem in the first place. The problem may may come back when you need the data on the drive. (you may lose the data anyway but at least try DW on that drive)

??Yes, you can install a second drive, boot from it and run DW from it on the 'bad' drive. (bad as in bad dog, no biscuit?) Make sure you have different ID numbers on the drives.

?What computer are you running? There are things like holding the Option key during startup that will put you in the Open Firmware startup disk Option window, this will allow you to select the correct system folder on that Disk Warrior CD as long as you have a B&W or newer Mac.

?Older Macs can sometimes get confused as to which system folder you are trying to boot, I had that happen a bunch with an 8500. If you install a second hard drive and boot to it you can use the Startup Drive control panel from there to select the DW CD also.

?Good luck, where there's a will there's a way. You might even try a CUDA reset with an older Mac before doing a C key startup from the DW CD.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 03 January 2003).]

Create a RAM Disk large enough to hold some programs. Even when booted from a CD, you can run DFA on the RAM Disk and it will be on the desktop. That way you should be able to run DW and other programs when booted from any CD. Alsoft ususally has CDs and very small shipping fee for the latest version.

Got it fixed booting from the other drive. Thanks for the advice.

Gregory, that sounds like a good idea about creating a RAM Disk. I'm still a newbie, though, so I don't know what DFA means. Any help there?

Also, I wasn't sure what you meant about Alsoft having CDs. I already own DiskWarrior. Were you referring to another CD? Like an update or something?

Jim

DFA = Disk First Aid (Apple)

Alsoft - call them, ask for a new updated CD of Disk Warrior. ~$10.

I'm glad to hear you resolved your problem.

Another great way to get data off a Firewire enable Mac is to cable between 2 Macintosh's Firewire ports then start the machine you want to transfer from while holding down the T key.

You'll get a Firewire symbol displayed on this machine, and now it will act like a Firewire HD.