Thread: 10.2.3 made iMovie stop working

I've got a G4 466mhz, w/ 256mb of ram. Everything else is stock. I've had a lot of problems w/ iMovie. When I got the mac, 10.1.1 was on it and iMovie worked. Then w/ 10.1.2, it stopped working and didn't work again until 10.1.4, then w/ 10.1.5 it stopped again. So I upgraded to Jag and it still didn't work. I took it to an Apple store, and they were about to troubleshoot it when they said, "Hey, the 10.2.2 update came out a half hour ago!" So they downloaded it there at the store, and what do you know... suddenly iMovie worked again!! I must back up and say that prior to going down to the store, I completely wiped my HD and got it back to factory 10.2.1. At that point, iMovie was NOT working. But the 10.2.2. updated fixed it and I left a happy camper (no charge!). So, I updated my Mac to 10.2.3 this weekend and the FIRST thing I checked was iMovie. What do you know? It DIDN'T WORK again.

People, it's not the cable, the camera, etc. It's the OS. No one can explain it either and it's highly frustrating!!!!! I wish someone could tell me what the probl is. It seems that iMovie will play back my movies that are already loaded, but when you plug the camera in and turn it on, my Mac almost becomes unusable. It gets SUPER slow and sluggish. I can actually hear the fan draw power when I turn the camera on, and it stays this way until I turn the camera OFF. The fan speed picks back up and the Mac just sorta goes, "AHHHHH!". This is the EXACT same symptom that has happened from the beginning. Somebody please help. I'm about to reinstall for the 10 millionth time. I've reinstalled my OS five times since I've had this make, and it's ALL been because of iMovie. This time, I'm gonna wipe the HD, and go step by step to 10.2.3. If the camara works, then I'm gonna wipe my HD again and restall OS9, then OSX on the same partition (like it is now). If it stops working at 10.2.3, then I'm gonna wipe the HD, install OS9, then OSX 10.2.2 and sell the computer.

Frustrated,

Jason

Jason,

If I recall correctly on the Apple Discussions http://discussions.info.apple.com/ for iMovie, you are not the only one. Might want to take a look there if you haven't.

I started using iMovie in OS9.2.2 on my G4-800DP and am getting more experienced with it. So far a 40 minute, two 58, two 30. No problems. All of mine are imported from SVHS or VHS tape, thru an analog to digital converter, then FW cable to the Mac. iMovie sees the converter as a camera.

When I want to burn a DVD-R, I reboot to X naturally for iDVD. I wanted to get more info about theme volume in iDVD, so I went to the above link for iMovie and iDVD info. That is where I read about others having problems with iMovie in various versions of X similar to your problem. So I decided to stay with iMovie in 9.2.2 until X gets the iMovie kinks out. Even my A/D converter is mentioned by some as working in some versions of X and not others. So I will stick with iMovie in OS9 for now. Seems as if Apple is not keeping camera compatibility with upgrades in X. They fix it in the next update, then forget to do so in the next, until the complaints begin again. k

Not to be flip, but why not stay at 10.2.2?

I agree this kinda stuff can make anybody want to go postal, but FWIW, have you ever looked into the horror stories from folks trying the same with XP? That's no excuse for the bug you are chasing, but if your system is happy wih 10.2.2, just go with it.

I know that urge to have the latest and greatest; IT SHOULD be better, IT SHOULD be faster, and IT SHOULD be more stable...but it never is for everybody.

If you have been around Macs for a while, remember OS 8.0, 8.5, 9.0....? For lots of folks (including me) these brought big problems. Then came 8.1, 8.6, 9.1...etc.

Hang out at 10.2.2 until 10.2.4 (or whatever is next) is out and tested. Watch Macfixit.com (or the source of your choice) to see what other users think, and what problems they are having, and if imovie works! Of coarse they may be a work around or solution, but one must decide how much they want to hunt and investigate and test, or if you just wanna load imovie and get to editing. I suspect that "downgrading" is faster and less frustrating for most folks.

FWIW, 10.2.2 was big trouble on 2 or my Macs, so I went back to 10.2.1, until 10.2.3 came along, which has been good for me. If not, back to 10.2.1 I go...

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 27 December 2002).]

Well, if I can't get it working, I'm gonna look to uninstall 10.2.3 ( i think there is a way), or I'm gonna for sure reinstall back to 10.2.2. I'm just mad that Apple can't seem to get this right. I shouldn't have to reinstall my OS everytime they send out a screwy update. I'm getting sick of it.

Thanks!

jason

what I try to do: always always clone the system to another volume before running an update. 10.2.3 has new changes. Support added and dropped seems like the throw of the dice though in some ways.

If you do start from a freshly partitioned drive with Jaguar. Takes a lot to update and get everything the way I want, get it and organized, then CLONE again. Shouldn't matter if you partition or not, but it helps to have an OS 9.2 volume on one of your drives to run Disk Warrior.

Repair permissions HAS to be run even after an Apple installer or updater. Permissions were changed in some major way with 10.2.3. I don't trust the update or archive update route as those do seem to pose more problems.

I would not want to run Jaguar with less than 512MB RAM - more is better, 1GB use to sound like a lot, today, its par for the course.

I used the standalone combined 10.2.3 updater on my 10.2.2 system, on beige rev A, and on B&W (G4/500, Radeon, 1GB RAM, ACARD PCI). Even running a combined standalone update can act as a 'repair' to some things and at 59MB has to include quite a bit of updates.

Applying an update from Apple or anyone w/o two backups, your current backup, and a "clean" initial install, needs to part of basic habits and troubleshooting. No one would install an update on mainframe or to Windows without testing it first in some fashion and having a backup/restore to go to. Some people use a 2nd computer to test updates, if it works, then try on their primary computer.

If you keep hammering and harming your thumb, I'd avoid iMovie like the plague. I use to feel that way about iTunes.

Rumor of 10.3 for 2nd Anniversary in March 2003. Don't know if Apple will be too busy or they don't see the need for the rumored 10.2.4 update (to bring advanced RAID capability?, taking longer and why now part of 10.3?)

Ok, typically in the past I tried using OS9.2.2 when iMovie stopped detecting my camera in OSX. But from your advice, I went ahead and decided to install iMovie in OS9 just to rule stuff out. Well... to my surprise, iMovie in OS9 detected my camera just fine, but it still doesn't in OSX 10.2.3. I could reinstall my OS back to 10.2.2, but why bother? I'll just wait for the next update to see. I can import my movies into OS9, then edit them in OSX because while OSX won't detect my camera, iMovie still functions just fine otherwise. Sort of a pain, but I don't mind.

I'm rather sick of Apple not addressing this issue though. It seems that with every other update, iMovie works, then it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Jason

Hey kids, I just repaired my permissions and now iMovie works in OSX 10.2.3. DOH!!

Jason

Hey kids. I just repaired my permissions now iMovie works w/ 10.2.3. DOH!! Thanks all.

Jason

Someone on XLR8 had trouble with iMovie and it turned out to be one of the plug-ins for Toast that are built into the iMovie package.

Don't know if that helps, but embedded plug-ins? Digging around inside packages, may as well have plug-ins in their own sub-folder, even if with the application.

Permisions are the bane of OSX. My kids love "the sims" and installing it for one user and then trying to use it from another user is impossible. i would imagine more of this type of stuff to surface.

Nice work G.

Now that you all bring it up, I can't get Quicken to work with more than one user either. Have not tried since the box was at 10.2, but it just would not work back then.

Note to self: Permissions, permissions, permissions!

someone mentioned that running repairpermissions from terminal is better. I tend to agree based on what I am seeing at this moment (I run it daily now! and it is finding stuff that the GUI Disk Utility failed to fix!!)

From Terminal:
    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Hey, Gregory...

If you're running repairPermissions *daily*, sounds like something to add into the daily cronjobs. If you want, I can provide a script you can drop into /etc/periodic/daily/ and it'll automatically run over night for you, every night.

I need to know where repairPermissions lives on your system -- full path. Also, where did your 'diskutil' user come from? Is that part of the install process for repairPermissions? What are its uid and gid numbers (nidump passwd and check the numbers in fields three and four for the user diskutil)?

WARNING!! If you put something into the daily cron process, it will be invoked any time your machine is running at the time it fires off the daily script(s). Be sure you mean it! Be sure it's trustworthy!

It also must be able to run "unattended", that is that it doesn't ask you for manual input along the way.

Jazzbo

diskutil - /usr/sbin/diskutil

pid 474
    Parent PID 473 (tcsh)
    Process Group ID 474
    Saved User ID: 0 (root)
    Terminal: p3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"What are its uid and gid numbers (nidump passwd and check the numbers in fields three and four for the user diskutil)?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I feel helpless to get the output you are asking for.

Sorry, 'mano -- my fault for misreading the sudo call you had. I was thinking of it as

sudo -u diskutil repairPermissions /

such that you'd be running a program called repairPermissions as the user diskutil. Mis-fire in my reading!!

If you know how to use pico, cool. Otherwise, let me know and we'll come up with an alternative.

NOTE: This is for OSX 10.2, not for 10.1.* or 10.0.

As root, run

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">pico /etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions</pre>

and put the lines between the --- lines into the file:

--- paste from the line after this into the file ---
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # 800.repairPermissions: run diskutil to repair all file permissions
    #
    /usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /
    --- paste through the line above this into the file ---

Then, after saving the file in and then exiting from pico, you need to turn on the execute bit for the owner (root) by setting the permissions (filemode) of the script you just created. In Terminal as root:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">chmod 744 /etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions</pre>

and, to check your work, the output of running

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">ls -l /etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions</pre>

(that was "ell ess space dash ell") should look like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">-r-xr--r-- 1 root wheel 1389 Jul 14 13:57 /etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions</pre>

Things we expect to be different? The time-stamp and the number of characters in the file (which won't be 1389).

Want to try it manually? As root, enter in Terminal:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">/etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions; echo $?</pre>

If at the very end it prints a 0 (zero) and had printed no error messages, it means everything worked right. If it prints error messages and then a number other than 0 as the very last line, a failure occured and you may want to delete the file until we can figure out what went wrong.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"># to remove the file:
    rm /etc/periodic/daily/800.repairPermissions</pre>

If everything *did* go well, then tomorrow morning's run of the daily crontab entry (at 3:15am) will also run diskutil repairPermissions against your root volume.

Jazzbo

[This message has been edited by Jazzbo (edited 31 December 2002).]