Thread: PowerLogix 550 ZIF crash help needed!

I am running a Powerlogix G4 550 ZIF upgrade in a B&W Yosemite Power Mac that was originally a Rev 1 G3 400. I boot back and forth between Jaguar and Mac OS 9.2.2 frequently due to the need to use OS 9 for better control of fine art printing. There is no trouble in OS X, but repeated boots into 9 seem to corrupt something related to the PowerLogix processes at boot, first slowing down loading of extensions, and eventually crashing the computer at the 1st PowerLogix extension that loads before everything else. This is a hard crash, the black bomb. It is not directory corruption, because Disk Warrior finds no problem. I have created a jpeg image of the extension onscreen at crash, visible here: <http://homepage.mac.com/garyp/trouble.html>. I can't find any extension with that icon in the system folder, extensions folder, although the other PowerLogix extension, "AltiVec Enabler," has a similar design. This system is not used for "Classic," by the way. I have another 9.2.2 system I use only for classic. It is rarely used.

I recently restored my 9.2.2 System with a clean install, which solved things for awhile, but the problem always comes back. This system is on an ATA drive running off a Sonnet Tempo ATA66 card with the version 3.2.1 firmware update from ACARD. There is no newer update that I know about.

I wonder if there is any chance there could be a problem with the backside cache, either the settings or the actual physical cache on the chip. I am using a conservative cache setting: 5:2. I sure hope you know something that can help.

Thanks,

Gary Politzer

[This message has been edited by Gary P (edited 30 December 2002).]

Gary,
    Did you update the firmware before putting the PL in? I have installed three of these in Beige and B&W without any problems. Don't suppose you have got the dial set to the wrong speed to overclock it? Do you get the same problems if you boot from a cd - I know you won't have the cache enabled, but it might give a clue.

One other thing that you might try is using the XLR8 cache control instead in OS9 and see if that cures it.

Baggy - Thanks for your suggestions! The firmware was updated on the B/W before the upgrade. I agree with you that the PowerLogix ZIF is a solid upgrade with a good track record. It always worked fine in my old system 9, and it never has a problem in X. The problem seems to come in booting back & forth repeatedly. Over time, something gets corrupted. I had email exchanges today with PowerLogix tech support and Larry from Other World Computing. The problem is fixed for now, oddly enough by resetting the PRAM. I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before it happens again. I will also try a couple of alternative Cache setting utilities, including the one you suggested. This problem is probably specific to my setup somehow.

Gary,
    It's an interesting little issue, I don't use OSX enough to have generated the same set of problems.
    OWC are usually pretty sensible when it comes to Powerlogix queries.
    Let me know how you get on as I use a lot of Powerlogix processors, also OWCs 533mhz Mercury recently, it's nice to walk into a room with the lights on!