Thread: 9500 running g4 random FREEZE ouch!

Hey good folks, just looking for a clue. My 9500/200 freezes intermittently and has to be frequently re-booted using the control/apple/start button method. It was doing this before I installed a sonnet g4/700 (which works awesome!) and OS 9.1 and still does now. The Hard drive, cd-rw, extra twin turbo display card and usb card all worked fine in my 7500/NewerTech g3.... used tech tool pro to test hardware and it all passes...
    ???? I'm going crazy!
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Peace,
    Tim

Can you move your memory around to make sure you don't have a bad chip? My strangest find lately was a CD-ROM drive that was causing the same symptoms your describing. You might try disconnecting any and all non essential SCSI drives and checking termination on each. I was lucky this last time in that I have a couple of everything and I just started exchanging things until I found the problem which as I said this time was the CD-ROM drive.
    Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken,
    I will give your suggestions a try. More clues: This computer freezes often in Photoshop, Illustrator, Protools, while printing and opening folders. Tech Tool Pro has frozen every time I tried to test file structures. Volume structure test passed ok. Maybe it's that RAM- or a bad extension? Any more suggestions, again, will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Tim

Tim,

How much RAM is installed? Is Virtual Memory turned off? And, as a for instance, how much RAM is assigned to Photoshop? k

Don't forget the basics: test for extension conflicts. If you plan to stay with OS 9, you might think about conflict catcher. How about updating/reinstalling the print drivers, and consider trashing preferences for anything related to the symptoms, including the finder.

If you have your OS Disc handy, you can reisntall the core OS components (or anything else you suspect is wonky) faster than you can run some utilites. is the OS a clean install, or has it been upgraded?

While you are checking RAM, how about running some RAM testing software?

Consider DiscWarrior if you don't have it. TT is not foolproof; I have had it do more harm than good once in a while.

Thank you kaye and newbie for your suggestions. In response, I have 272 MB RAM (one new 128 chip, four 16s, two 8s and one new 64, all de-interleaved). The OS 9.1 was a clean install on a totally blank partition of an IBM 36 GB drive, all other files have been kept reasonably fragment-free. Previously, this machine ran 8.6. Virtual memory is off, cache is set to default. Again, the freeze problem existed before I did all this work (NEW HD, processor, OS). Disk warrior has been recommended before, but all I have is the Rebuild utility from them. I will look into the other things you mentioned.
    Thank you again!
    Tim

Tim,

For one thing, you don't have enough RAM to run OS9.1 comfortably and run those memory hungry applications. Most say 256MB just for 9.1 comfortably. Then add in the fact that those apps need to be assigned more memory than default.

Additionally, a G4 and a G4-700 will stress your RAM to its utmost. Except for the 128MB stick, your other RAM all needs to be 60ns or faster and 2k refresh with a G4 and particularly a G4-700. The 128MB stick I'm sure is 60ns or faster, and it will be 4k refresh, but meaning 2k per side. So the specs on the 128MB stick will be good, but with memory being so cheap because of the competition these days, quality 128MB RAM is sometimes hard to get. So I would run a memory test with the 16s and 8s removed. On our ftp site, Newer GaugePRO or xlr8 PowerControl (the best) with PowerFrax running in the background are good memory testers. You want to run either of these overnight with Energy Saver set to Never for all three selections. ANY errors reported and you have some bad/intermittent RAM. k

tachyon Guest

maybe you have a faulty keyboard!! heh heh.
    yes, random freezes are the worst.
    You need to do some of those diagnostics as earlier posts have suggested, so we can narrow down the problem to a couple of bits of hardware. What I mean is use TechTool's AutoPilot feature, and just test one thing at a time, leave it overnight or at least for a few hours. Sometimes TTP's quick-scan-everything doesn't pound the hardware hard enough to induce failure.

OK,
    so I ran the XLR8 powercontrol 12 hours with ALL my RAM still installed and came up with 0 errors. That's the latest... thank you all for your insights. I'm continuing on with diagnostics. Note: when I have used tech tool, I have always used the advanced interface and checked things one at a time. I ran the autopilot anyway and it crashed checking the file structures again, predictably. All the hardware check out good though, so far.
    Thank you again!
    Tim

Tim,
    Try taking out your USB card - I have found so many problems with USB cards that if I could I'd trash them. Try it without first and then run TechTool.
    You have 6 pci slots, if you have to keep the USB put it in the bottom slot with a vacant slot next to it - I've done this in my 9600 with remarkable improvements in stability.
    Nowadays if I am called to sort any mac with problems and a USB card that is the first thing that goes.