Thread: 10.2.3 killed my Mac

I upgraded to 10.2.3 and restarted the machine. The computer restarted fine. I immediately plugged in my ZR20 Camcorder because I've had problems in the past w/ Updates killing my iMovie/Camera. In 10.1.2, it worked, in 10.1.4 it didn't, same for 10.1.5, 10.2.1 didn't work, but 10.2.2 fixed it. So, I plug the camera in, and what do you know... it DOESN'T WORK. iMovie doesn't detect and the computer gets all sluggish. So, I restarted because my G4 466 just was acting horrible. Now, my restart takes FOREVER. It hangs on the grey start up screen for a real long time. The timer just spins and spins. Then Jag finally lauches after like 5 minutes or longer and I get the weirdest error. A box pop's up after my desktop shows up, with a white exclamation point inside a red stop sign shaped box.
    In bold, the text says: HeaderOfDallasPartialInsert
    under than in smaller text it says: StringOfDallasPartialInsert

then the blue aqua button says: ButtonOfDallasPartialInsert

What the hell? No one seems to know what this error message means. Is it my memory maybe?? What should I do? I haven't done anything at this point, and I'm not pressing it until I hear otherwise.

HELP!!!!!

Keep in mind... that prior to the update, my Mac ran like a charm. Running OS9.2.2 and OSX on the same partition. 1.25gig of Ram.

Jason

You won't believe this, but read this thread: http://www.kieranonline.co.uk/cgi-bi...num=1038479764

Even IF it fixes the problem, my Mac still runs horribly bad. We'll see tonight.

Jason

Assuming it is a kext and microhone not plugged in, do you have another disk drive that you can partition? FWB Partition Magic ($20) might help. Install 10.2 and then clone to another volume, and play with what updates work.

When you installed 10.2, was it a clean install, archive, or update?

Is there a driver for the ZR20? even 3rd party? sounds like it lacks native support. ie, is there the equivalent of VueScan (scanner software that supports almost every scanner)? IOXPERTS has a firewire driver for some devices.

Startups are slow even when there aren't any extra devices attached? looking for server? have you booted in verbose mode to see what messages show? waiting on devices or time out errors?

I know that Blue G3's have reports of FW ports being fried or some devices not working on native FW but work with PCI FW cards (unlikely in G4/466). FW PCI card would be a very cheap solution, especially if it worked reliably.

Have you run Disk Warrior by chance just to make sure the system volume is good? Booting OS X with shift key down in "safe" mode will inspect the drive file system and sounds like it might be in order also just to see if it boots better. Run 'fsck' in single user mode; or, you can run fsck from the terminal if you shutdown the Aqua interface (shutdown -now).

Couple places to begin looking.