Thread: New G4,cache problems

8/29/02..brandy new G4,, past few weeks...problems getting worse, from crashes, can't upload jpeg files, loaded norton, won't accept that the program is installed. one message appeared: memory test has detected a problem with cache memory. contact tech for assistance. I think DIMMS may need to be replaced. Is this common with Mac??? Did I get a lemon?Would the cache memory cause all of these problems?

tachyon Guest

New Mac User? Welcome. The cache memory could cause these problems, you need a new processor card. Tell the place you bought it, they should be able to advance order the part (I would) then bring it in when the part arrives, so they can swap it over. It only takes a few minutes plus testing time.

You may need to reinstall your OS, as they could have been corrupted by the faulty cache memory. The DIMMs (normal RAM) are probably fine, but use AHT to test to be sure.

Tacyon,
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a older Mac, Quadra 840AV, system software 7.5, PressView 21 Display, Super Mac, Super Match, Kensington Turbo Mouse 4.0, and a Wacom Tablet. I was told it would be too expensive to upgrade, so I bought a cheaper PC, for the internet and for awhile I was able to transfer images to PC, etc...but I had so many tech problems with that PC..I didn't want to throw away anymore money into it. My older Mac never had anything go wrong with it. I just love it.
    So I finally invested in the G4...you can imagine my dismay when within a month of use...problems...so with the info you gave me I should be up and running soon.
    I want to upgrade my Photoshop, Illustrator, and I want to be able to use the Wacom Tablet, Turbo Mouse and PressView Display with the G4...Is that a possibilty?
    Wacom Tablet Driver is Mac V 2.2.2, I'll have to get different connections for the USB ...can I do this? I'm an old Mac dinasour user with limited knowledge, but I am learning.

Thanks again...Sunny

I'd at least download and run DIMM First Aid. Considering all the reader feedback on MacIntouch there could be something going on. Is it the L3 that is being reported as trouble? DFA will only check SDRAM come to think of it, and you have DDR? or is that one of the last of the last models to use SDRAM, and you bought DRAM from ______ ?

OS X is much harder and likely to cause kernel panics. And, unfortunately, corrupt your disk drive in an instant, as was already mentioned.

Norton is... close to garbage. Use it from CD or w/o actually installing, or forgo, the OS X "native" is Carbon and not Cocoa. And even DRive10 isnt' 10.2.2 compatible yet. If talking about 9.2.2, start with Disk Warrior, then if you must, run Norton. I've seen Norton fail when it shouldn't and I won't use something that is not 100% reliable.

Gregory,
    Thank you for the info....what anti virus program would you recommend?

Under OS X, HenWen and good firewall software/hardware. Under OS 9, up to you. but under Jaguar, installing Norton isn't helpful or necessary now.

tachyon Guest

Mostly the adapters for serial devices and ADB devices aren't worth the expense, when compared to buying new USB devices... unless you have a monster 12" x 12" Wacom tablet or some other outrageously-priced, rare ADB peripheral, like one of those dongles for outrageously-priced software.

The big monitor you can use with the correct adapter, have you bought a second video card so you can run 2 monitors at once Sunny?