Thread: Strange memory allocation problems

My upgraded 7500 has started having odd problems with the OS grabbing memory and not releasing it when apps are quit. The system has an XLR8 Carrier G4 450 board, 512 mb of Gurus RAM, a two Cheetah RAID and some other stuff, OS 9.1.

I first notice the problem with IE and Outlook Express. If I was in Outlook and clicked a link in an e-mail to get on the web, the later quit both apps (or either), "About..." would show the OS as still retaining 370+ mb of my RAM. A restart was the only way to get the "allocated" RAM back. I have upgraded to the latest versions of each app, no change.

Today I had a similar problem with the Acrobat plug-in running on top of IE. Got a "finder is low on memory, needs your attention..." message, and upon switching to the finder and doing an "About...." there was plenty of memory in unused blocks. Very strange.

I've checked the memory control panel, all is as it should be (no virtual, no RAM disk) Tried trashing the finder prefs, didn't make any difference. Am I missing something here??

Tom

How much is allocated to IE and OE? You need to do a "Get Info" on the app and then check the preferred memory allocation. Make sure IE gets say minimum 40MB and preferred of 50-60MB. Not the defaults.

IE and OE use to share the same cache.waf file. Now they don't, they use their own files. But they both share and write to the internet preference file a lot, and once that is corrupted, both programs will have trouble.

If you have too much allocated, the smallest free memory pool won't be enough. 512MB should be plenty. Some apps though (graphics programs, scanner software) can gobble 100-200MB. There is no way that the OS should have 370MB in use. Serious memory leak. Might want to try disabling some 3rd party extensions and control panels, anything old and out of date. Even a RAM disk and large disk cache setting the system should be 40-60MB.

Hi Gregory -

Serious memory leak indeed! "Get Info" allocations were already done, and under normal conditions the OS uses about 52mb. I'll check exts & CPs, but the machine is very lean and mean already.

I may trash that internet prefs file also. How much re-creating do you think I'll have to do if I try this? I don't know the extent of what is stored in that file - don't really want to get stuck with a dead internet connection and have to track all over hellangone putting things back together!

T